PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Drake from Uncharted WIP

dstammel
01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Here is a work in progress of Nathan Drake from the PS3 game Uncharted. I really enjoyed the game so i thought i'd make a low poly Drake. Drake with guns comes to 1000 polys and he's got a 256 texture. Any comments or Crits would be helpful. http://davidstammel.com/tmp/WIPDrake.jpg

Ancient-Pig
01-07-2008, 12:44 AM
VIVA LA TOMB RAIDER!

:P

Overall it looks pretty good! I think some geo could be chopped out of the elbows, but other than that it's pretty solid. The UV layout looks smart - I would have given more exposure to his face however...

Clothes look good - a little more color variance to the face, and you're golden!

VIVA LA TOMB RAIDER!

ScudzAlmighty
01-07-2008, 12:47 AM
i love how much detail you've into that 256 texture, and the model is nice and clean
something bugs me about the face though, it kinda looks like Ray Ramano in "Drakes Fortune" otherwise great work so far!

dstammel
01-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Ok i've gone back and given more room to a few things, mainly the face. Here is the new image. More comments and crits very welcome.
http://www.davidstammel.com/tmp/WIPDrake2.jpg

GregorCZ
01-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Looks a lot better.
But something still doesn't fit with that facial expression, I don't know what it is.

iSOBigD
01-07-2008, 04:52 AM
He just needs to turn that frown upside-down! :D

Nah, it's fine since you're using such a small texture. The UV space for the face is better now but mainly the gun's taking up the room the head should have had. The gun could have just been a separate texture, since you'll normally change weapons in a game anyway.

dstammel
01-07-2008, 05:08 AM
thanks for the comments.
I choose to put both the character and the gun on the same uvs as a challenge.
Anything else i shoujld change before i rig him?

OsharpO
01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Excellent model and texture :)
I always love the bit-sized models of next-gen games :)
Yes, i do agree with the others abou the yellowness of the skin :)

dstammel
01-08-2008, 05:45 AM
some changes
http://www.davidstammel.com/tmp/WIPdrake3.jpg

OsharpO
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Looks excellent :D
Now onto the hair and BOOM! port it into a psp engine :D

xtrm3d
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
interesting thread .. i would defitivly look foward to update :-)

GenZ
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
hey nice job,he's my fav character :)
Btw,i think some lines are very blury,you could use the pencil to get more hard edged lines.

SpiralFace
01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks a lot better.
But something still doesn't fit with that facial expression, I don't know what it is.

I think I can peg it down.

His nose is too narrow, and as a result, your eyes are too big.

It looks like your using the landmarks on the face in the correct way, but from the looks of it, the tip of his nose and nostrals are TINY. And as a result of these tiny nostrils, your eyes where rendered to be too large, as the inner duct of the eyes start at the same distance as the end of the nostril, but because its so tiny, it ends up making the face look just a bit off.

Also, while the eyes are in shadow, remember to also make it so the area of the face that follows the orbit bone below the eye is soft shaded into it. As currently, the face looks kinda flat until you get to the eyes. Although this is a SMALL thing that is very tough to pull off on such a lowpoly model with a mirrored texture.

ScudzAlmighty
01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
a much better face to be sure, but yeah, Shadow-Slayer is spot on with his crit.
keep up the good work:thumbsup:

dstammel
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Ok i changed some more stuff about the face. Thanks for all the help. I improved the texture a bit and i think i moved the features around to look more natural. I also tried to improve the hair. There isnt' much texture space for hair texture but i did improve the hairline.
Tomorrow at work i'll take a break from work 3ding and rig this guy up. Hopefully soon i'll have some poses.

http://www.davidstammel.com/tmp/WIPDrake4.jpg

zeke3d
01-10-2008, 12:12 AM
what texture resolution are you using for the source texture? I recommend working with at least 1k image map until your ready, and I would give him a baseball tee.

his skin is reading really pink, i would push it towards brown, and more tan. make his forhead smaller, his tzone features smaller, which will make his jaw look bigger and stronger, make his eye whites darker, and his eyes smaller. his neck could be a little thicker and traps a little bigger. I would move points around his clothes to break it up, also his arms look thin in the ps3 version and look puffy in yours.

none the less its getting there. keep it up dave.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2008, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.