PDA

View Full Version : Starter question for 10...

Beillzibub
01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

I hope you guys don't mind me asking a few questions, I tried finding the answers on existing posts but came up no dice.

I've been working in tv and print for a good few years now and am about to cross over into sets and props for games. Obviously the workflow and restrictions differ hugely from the two medias and I've started doing my homework before I start for real in a month or so.
(Normal mapping is just amazing by the way.)

Anyway, enough about me!
Thought I'd start on something simple to work out the kinks and hopefuly bring up some issues that I'm likely to come across and it worked. There are issues. (",)
I'm working on some verticle gas and water pipes with vales/hadles etc, and I've two main questions realy:

1. The pipes need to be between 500-1500 polys
Now I'm working in maya, and having never had a poly restriction I've never looked at the heads up poly counter. It shows faces and tri's but I'm not sure which of these constitutes as my poly count?

2. The pipes in real life would be cylindrical, now obviously the poly restriction would mean working on this somewhat. I've gone with the pipe cross-section being a hexagon, but even before thinking of normal mapping it I was wandering if this is too squared off? This is an opinion question I guess, and if I knew the answer to question 1 I'd probably be able to decide myself but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Long time listener, first time caller and all that. I hope you guys don't mind me asking all this.
Many thanks in advance.

urgaffel
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
1. You want to look at the tri count. When people say "1500 polys maximum" they usually mean 1500 triangles.

2. Depending on the size of the props you are making, you might get away with a hexagonal crossection but if it's larger than that, 8 or 10 sides is probably a better idea. The bigger the prop, the more polys anything curved needs in order to look at least decent. Then again, you can get away with having 6 sides on your cylinder if you don't see the silhouette.

Welcome to the wonderful world of games work, it's quite different from what you're used to :)

Beillzibub
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Urgaffel, that helps a lot.

I felt a bit lost without having a starting point. The difference in tri's between a 6 sided cross section and a 10 give a much better idea of poly-budget left to construct the valve and such.
Thank you. (",)

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.