PDA

View Full Version : pose in IK but animate in FK?

Venom Hawk
01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi guys,
I've soon finished my first character rig but have some issues. I've set IK for the arms with IK/FK blending. I want to pose the arm in IK, but then to animate it i FK so the joints rotate as opposed to just go straight from point A to point B. But when posing the arm to a position in IK, then turning the IK/FK blend to full FK the arm goes to its previous position when blending between those two. I've noticed that the FK controls for the shoulder and elbow doesn't follow when in IK mode, no matter the constraints they have. They follow correctly when in FK mode, but when blending they just stay put so the arm goes to its previous position it had. How do you make these controls to follow when in opposite mode so to speak, IK controls to follow in FK mode and vice versa?
Is it possible in maya to pose in IK but then to animate in FK? If so, can you give me tips on how to do that?

// Cheers

sonusunny
01-06-2008, 09:50 AM
It is possible to do with the help of scriptjob command and mel script residing in the file as a scriptnode. It causes both ik and fk to snap to each and vice versa whenever we switch from one to another... but to achieve this u should have a idea of MEL scripting...

Regards,

Sonusunny

djx
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Venom Hawk, you might want to have a look at the zooToolbox at http://www.macaronikazoo.com - in particular zooBodgeK. It enables you to animate an FK rig by posing with IK. Script jobs are used, so no extra connections are made. It includes the required snapping functions too.

-- David

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.