PDA

View Full Version : Help with a complex material in 3DS Max

JKStudios
01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi,

I would appreciate any help from anyone who knows the right way to go about this!

I have tried searching the forums, but it's quite a specific requirement, so I havent had much luck.

I basically need to create a material (that can be animated) that 'flows' over an object, with the leading edge of the material having a glow as it goes.

Sounds complex I know, but i KNOW there must be a way to do it.

Basically the object will start transparent and only reveal itself by way of this material moving over its surface.

Ideally the leading edge (where the material 'appears' as it moves over the object) will also have some amplitude to it (not be straight, but kindof fractalled).

I hope this makes sense to someone! I would appreciate any input from someone who might know how to pull this off!

J

soulburn3d
01-06-2008, 05:18 AM
That shouldn't be too hard, just make a blend material that blends a fully transoarent material with a fully opaque material, and then place a gradient ramp in the mask. Then animate the positions of the gradient flags from left to right, "revealing" the opaque texture. To get the glowing edge, you could then turn that material into another blend material, and blend between that material and one that glows (you can do this by setting the material ID on the "glow" material to 1, and then use the lenzfx render effect to glow any material with an ID of 1). As the mask for this material, use another gradient that is basically a white stripe (your leading edge), and animate it the same as your previous gradient. Set up your mapping coordinates on your object(s) so that you get the gradient moving correctly over the surface. You can add a little nosie to the gradient to get an uneven edge.

Hope this helps.

- Neil

JKStudios
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks Neil, that worked like a charm!

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.