PDA

View Full Version : Leviathan

Stephen Vyas
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi,
It's been a very long time since i've posted an animation.
This is a personal piece, non-game related.

Run/Attack cycle
http://www.gamerreel.com/animations/leviathan.jpg
http://www.gamerreel.com/animations/leviathan.mov
Thanks for taking a look.
C&C's are most welcome.

-Steve

GavinG
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Very cool man, nice to see you posting again. You already know that I love it, just thought I'd post here so that it's recorded in time...forever. :beer:

Gav

Azereus
01-06-2008, 05:26 AM
what program are you using for the animation?

the animation its perfect, i love it..

Stephen Vyas
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Gav:Thanks bro :D
For all that don't know, this is Gav's model.
Checkout his site, it's filled with crazy awesome wicked characters.

Azereus: Oh wow, thanks for the great compliment! :eek: I used 3dsmax to make it.

Is there something I can do to it to make it better?

mistasam02
01-08-2008, 12:29 AM
My god those renders are amazing :scream: LOL it's too amazing really. Concentrating on the animation.. it's super stylized and looks great! Love the timing on the hops and swipes. Scrolling through it I can't find anything that could be improved upon, lol. Keep it up!

mistasam02
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Wow checked out your site and saw MORE crazyness!! O_O you're awesome, hope you know that, lol.

Stephen Vyas
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
holy smokes :eek: That's really nice of you to say all that Sam. You've got a great positive personality. Thanks for the motivation. :)

KyleG
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
looking pretty good, first thing I noticed is that the character feels a little stiff, especially in the spine, you'd expect a character of that size to have a little more "weight" and he feels a little light. I would try added some overlapping action in his spine especially once his feet contact the ground, try and get that overlapping "shock" through the rest of his body. Keep up the good work.

Stephen Vyas
01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Good tips! Thanks Kyle :)
I'll see what I'm able to do.

anthonymcgrath
01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
great bit of animation although I think the knee bends a touch too early as it contacts the ground but that may be down to the lack of frame rate in the .mov (strangely it seems to animate really "Steppy" if that makes sense?)
Its still really nice - great work sir!

ant

Stephen Vyas
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
A bit of an update with the suggestions made so far.

http://www.gamerreel.com/Animations/Leviathan2.mov

Thanks for the really nice comment & suggestion Ant :)
what can i say about the steppy look... it was more of a try and work or try and fail sorta attempt.
I'm looking to make this anim different than the soft and fluid animations i had in my porfolio. With this, I was hoping to get a rough, unpolished, edgy type of feel. Why, would i do that? Just for fun, and to explore how something different might change my approach to animation.

anthonymcgrath
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
wow that looks awesome now :)

as you say its definitely a different style of animation - have you animated that at a low frame rate or just stepped keyframes at every 4 frames or something? Its a great animation style mate - excellent job!

lime324
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow! I assume you wanna make some stop-motion style, right?? If you do, you're doing great!! but, I can't really tell what character he is, I mean is he funny character or scarry one? Is he small or big?? is he light or weight?? is he running or just slashing around with his claws? From the way I look at it, I think he's funny 'couse he bouncing arround, he is small little monster, and he's chasing his enemy like tom and jerry.. :D

Anyway, great work pal!! :thumbsup:

SpaXe
01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I love your run cycle.

My suggestion is to draw a motion curve on each component of the character over-time for one cycle, and look at the curves. Your COG only moves up and down, but if you pay close attention to real life, it should go forward and backwards as well.

Aim for an infinity symbol on the COG motion trail.

Stephen Vyas
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry folks for not replying sooner, life has been hectic with finding a new home especially during winter time. I'll do my best to visit the forum more often.
________

SpaXe I love your run cycle.

My suggestion is to draw a motion curve on each component of the character over-time for one cycle, and look at the curves. Your COG only moves up and down, but if you pay close attention to real life, it should go forward and backwards as well.

Aim for an infinity symbol on the COG motion trail.
____________________________________________-
Thanks SpaXe, you've got a great eye for finding things out of place. :) The animation was KF'd while moving, though not in the typical one place, so what your seeing is the cog being constraint to one axis so that I could render a side profile of it. Which is why the movement isn't going forwards or backwards-Looks odd I admit, though it was useful to pay attention to the other body parts while trying the new technique.

Cheers

01-15-2008 08:45 AM
lime324 Wow! I assume you wanna make some stop-motion style, right?? If you do, you're doing great!! but, I can't really tell what character he is, I mean is he funny character or scarry one? Is he small or big?? is he light or weight?? is he running or just slashing around with his claws? From the way I look at it, I think he's funny 'couse he bouncing arround, he is small little monster, and he's chasing his enemy like tom and jerry..

Anyway, great work pal!!
Lime324 - Your right, the attempt was to make the anim appear more rough and edgy-Definitely something like you'd see in stopmotion. Since '96 i've always been drawn to that style, it really appeals to me for some reason.
:argh: Good points, I'll have to pay more attention to 'character development' with the cycles. I didn't spend as much time focusing on it as I should have :)

01-11-2008 01:43 AM
anthonymcgrath wow that looks awesome now

as you say its definitely a different style of animation - have you animated that at a low frame rate or just stepped keyframes at every 4 frames or something? Its a great animation style mate - excellent job!
01-10-2008 11:52 AM

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.