PDA

View Full Version : warrior

charlie brown
04-24-2003, 02:15 AM
initially just a body study, which just grew...
ps 7
c+c ?

http://www.artbyandy.com/conteweb.jpg

DOOMNINJA
04-24-2003, 04:29 AM
...Hammer. It looks like the perspective is a little off if we're to belive that the shaft goes thorough the center of the head. kinda like its floating on the edge of the shaft rather than on top. Ide personally bring the shaft forward, or jsut thicken it to give a great impresion of stabability of the weapon, and to fix the perspective.

I'm no expert, but theres a defined shape underneath the belly button, that tapers off towards his waist, that looks a little odd. Maybesoften the shadows around it so its not protrucing as sharply. the head also looks a little small to me, as well as. Could we perhaps see any referance you might have used?

I like the atmosphear though, thats for sure, and the rest of your details are pretty good.

-Doom

P.S. 10 points for whoever gets the video game reference.

MikkoK
04-24-2003, 10:23 AM
I was flattered by your comments on my thread so I just have to reply now! Hehe ;)

First of all, great style. I love the natural dirt look on the ground. Do you use custom brushes or perhaps some cloned or patterned textures too? The randomness looks good anyway. Perhaps you could try a little less grain in the upper part (close to the horizon line) of the ground for more texture contrast/image depth though.

As for crits, I think the first impression I got is that the head seems to be in a different scale from the body. A little too small (even for a grunt like him) and his neck seems to be positioned to the left too much. Probably just looks that way 'cause the small head. I know it's a pain in the butt to start making changes especially if you're like me and don't use layers but a simple scale could easily make it a lot better pic! :thumbsup:

One small idea I got. There's a nice contrast between the blue sky and the rest of the image which is mainly brown and red. What if you tried to change the sky to same kind of tones and limit the palette to a more stylized brownish look? If you look at Mullins' stuff you know what I mean with the limited palette. I remember the pirate running in the jungle pic which was mainly shades of yellowish brown. Just an idea, I'm not asking you to change the pic.

Keep doing this stuff man! I really like them all :D

charlie brown
04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
yeah its all bits an pieces, i used a ref for his torso only and it shows, i did a bit here and a bit there. the hammer and the neck are clearly off and yes i used a custom brush for the rocks hes leaning against, which is my favorite part too i did em real quick, i ned to use more refs expand my brushes and do more from life and yes mikko i do use an overweight palette at times which unfortunatly equals mud :( thanks for the comments pal.

eMysfit
04-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Looks awesome, but wouldn't the warhammer fall over? Unless it is double sided or something just that stick probably wouldn't be able to stablize it. Im not sure though...Id just think that the hammer portion of it would be on the ground stick leaning against.

Just my thoughts, looks good with or without changes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.