PDA

View Full Version : upgrade help much needed pls

vega
04-24-2003, 12:20 AM
hi,

i would like to upgrade or buy a new system but dont know the best way to do so.

i currently have a P4 2.4ghz, 1gig ram, and a gforce mx graphics card (real crap i believe) running win2k and working with max 5

the machine does well for a while but really feels the pain with huge wire frames and particularly the light tracer renders.

if i was to upgrade my graphics card (1000 budget) where would i see the improvement? im assuming the redraw whilst working onscreen would be much much better but would my rendering times increase? or is this a processor/ram issue?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks

gary

elvis
04-24-2003, 01:25 AM
your video card has nothing to do with your rendering times (and yes, i'm quietly ignoring maya 5 for the moment).

you've got a good slug of ram, my guess is your CPU is a 400MHz FSB P4, which is probably where you're being let down. if it's the 2.4 B series chip, then it is 533MHz FSB, and a CPU upgrade is probably not that cost effective at the moment.

video card wise, a quadro4 750XGL is probably your best bang for your buck, and would leave you with quite a bit of left overs from your 1000 quid.

dvornik
04-24-2003, 02:32 AM
For that kind of money you could get a Quadro for viewport performance like elvis said and some barebones PC to network render on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.