PDA

View Full Version : JS spine setup question

sedric
04-24-2003, 12:19 AM
hey fellas, im attempting the Jason Schleifer super spine setup.

i have the spine setup about 25% done, with a spline ik chain going through my spine joints. the top 2 CVs are made into clusters that are parented to a "shoulder control" curve. the same is done with the bottom 2 CVs of the curve. the CVs are parented to the "hip control" curve. then the hip control is point and orient constrained to the root joint. the problem im having is that it seems during my setup, about half the time, the joints with the IKspline recieve double transforms when i test the controller. the other half of the time it seems to work fine.

relitive is set to "off" for the clusters...

i cant seem to reliably reproduce the error or the solution...

i was wondering, is there some really obvious thing im missing?

any help would be greatly appreciated,

sedric

jHromika
04-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Well, I can't say I know how Jason Schleifer's spine setup goes, but I was always told to make sure relative was checked on when I made a cluster. I'm pretty sure that was so I would avoid having double transformations.

Now if in the tutorial, it states specifically not to check relative, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Like I said, I don't know how he does it and I'm still nailing down some of the basics for rigging.

Good luck :)

rusted_nut
05-06-2003, 09:15 PM
hey, hey, heeey, sedric,

I was having the same problem with a similar set up, it was only working half the time and then I figured out the problem - it had to do with the spineIK curve. Make sure the curve is NOT part of the heirarchy! When I figured that out all double transformation problems went away. Also try point constraining your clusters to group nodes and parent the group nodes, instead of the clusters, to the shoulder and hip controllers - this also helps clear up many cluster translation problems. I also started using a group null to parent and organize all the nodes which need to remain outside of the heirarchy, like the constrained clusters and IKspine curves.

Hope that helps,

the rusting rusted nut

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.