PDA

View Full Version : Darktree Bump and Baking

preludian
04-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Hi,

just wanted to share my solution for baking the bump channel of a 3d Darktree shader. I found it quite a struggle, and was very near of doing it with Cinema, where the baker supports all kind of channels very easily, but I finally solved it :) I didn't find it here at cgtalk nor in the Internet, so maybe some newby like I am will find it usefull. So here it is...

First download [B]Splt_DT[\B] at Darksim.com and don't forget to download [B]Python[\B] either as the shader splitter is a Python script. Choose a 3d shader and the script will split all the channels into different files. Unfortunately LW won't be able to open any other channel than color and percent, so the next step is to open the newly created channels (bump...) and to convert them to percent (just RMB on the the root and choose [B]convert subtree to percent[\B] and do a save as. Now you will be able to load the channel as color. Choose procedural texture as layer type and as procedural type choose SimbiontLWTexture. Load up your newly created DT percent channel.
Now it's also important to change the texture color into 255/255/255 or else your bitmap will become tinted.

Ok, that's it, the baking procedure should be no problem, there are lots of good tuts for this. Oh and using AA is a real time killer, so I prefer to bake high without AA and scale down later.

Hey, this was my first contribution :) it' nice being able to give a little back, I've learned so much in such a short time here.

bye
preludian

wgreenlee1
04-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Very good info!
Works pretty good huh?

Bytehawk
04-24-2003, 12:09 PM
you could also just bake it in darktree
with the beta baker you can find on their website
works great

Facial Deluxe
04-24-2003, 04:18 PM
I don't know anything about darktree, but if I had to bake some bump with LW, I'd copy the Bump info(layer/image/prrocedurals/...) to the color channel and voilą :shrug:

preludian
04-24-2003, 07:57 PM
wgreenlee1:

Great you liked it.

Bytehawk:

Yes I know the module and it renders pretty fast and nice, but there are two mayor drawbacks, first you cannot bake the complete object with different surfaces, you have to choose a shader first and then you choose the objects uvmap. Coming to the second disadvantage, you have no render display of your object, so you have to build scale/pos/rot tweaks in the shaders and have to do lots of trial and error to get the right look, 'cause you only see the rendered uv-map. Guess it depends on what kind of object you are using, if you have one object with only one DT Material, then the module way inside of DT should come handy.

Facial Deluxe:

Unfortunately this doesn't work with DT shaders. You can only put color and percent shaders as textures, so you have to split and convert your 3d shaders.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.