PDA

View Full Version : cylindrical mapping question

timsep
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone,
Quick question here, I'm still learning the xsi differences after coming from 3ds so bear with me. When doing something as simple as just trying to apply a fractal bump to a cylinder i've been having some uv seam issues on the cylinder. The steps i'm following are the following:
1. create basic cylinder
2. apply my material to it, phong for instance
3. apply my fractal to a bump node, attach that to the material node bump channel.
here's where my issue appears, if i take a region render things look nuts, I know this is becase of no projection map being applied to the cylinder, so I apply the cylindrical texture support to the object. Cool, things look all right, but wait there are nasty pinch points on the top and bottom. The I add 2 sub projection maps for the top and bottom of the cylinder, things look nice in my uv editor, but I have these damn seams where the top and bottom of the uv's join. How do I have that not occur? I've tried the roadkill plugin too, setting my seams up and same things is happeneing.

sorry for the easeiness of this question but I'm learnin.
thanks in advance everyone!

Ohmanoggin
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
How connecting the fractal directly to the phong bump node and choosing "Cubic" texture projection from fractal ppg. You can also adjust bump scale on the ppg too.

Hope this helps,
Ohmanoggin

timsep
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I connected the fractal minus the bump node directly into the phong bump channel. I selected the correct texture projection, cylindrical, and works cool, althought the top of the piece is swirled and twirled. from there to remove the swirl on the top and bottom i did 2 planar sub projections of them, and rearranged them in the editor. if you subdivide the piece everything works, but now you have nasty seams where the uv sub projections were made.

bah!! i think i'm making this too hard.

thanks for the help though

3dtutorial
01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I think what you want to use is spatial projection :-)

Try that.

Cheers,

Joe

timsep
01-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Hey 3dtutorial,
That worked, I must have flown by that texture support. Spatial acts differently in xsi than 3ds, which is fine by me, just another learning step.

thanks once again
Tim

3dtutorial
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey 3dtutorial,
That worked, I must have flown by that texture support. Spatial acts differently in xsi than 3ds, which is fine by me, just another learning step.

thanks once again
Tim

Hi Tim,

Great! I'm glad that worked for you and I'm happy that I could help.

Cheers,

Joe

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.