PDA

View Full Version : Short Film Idea: Tefolaha (Myths & Legends of Polynesia)

siosism
01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
http://images.siosism.multiply.com/image/4/photos/33/orig/13/fogShot3.jpg?et=aOL8OAbbZCzXXYtQnEsUEQ&nmid=78092827
Low Poly draft render of Tefolaha character

Tefolaha Trailer [WIP] - CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNivSkAeQNg)

Hi there,

I've been an avid viewer of work on CGtalk for quite some time, but have only recently gotten involved with the community. As a result, I have finally gotten over my intimidation of communicating with great people here, and decided to post my short film concept for Tefolaha. If this is the wrong place to post my call for help, then I apologize and would be grateful if someone directed me to the right place. If it is okay, then I'll continue...

Tefolaha is a half-man, half-spirit, being (in appearance) who is believed to be the founder, hero and legend of Nanumea, Tuvalu (one of the eight atolls that make up Tuvalu). A summarized version of the legend(s) can be found here (http://www.tuvaluislands.com/legends_nanumea.htm) but the original story is currently in the possession of my god-parents. It is written in a dialect of Tuvaluan that is difficult to interpret by most Tuvaluans alive today. Therefore, we are seeking an elderly person, still fluent in the old dialects, to properly interpet the original transcript(s). Nevertheless, I wish to share this growing idea of mine, with the talented artists here, to at least start generating ideas for character design, environments, film styles and music possibilities. I would also like some help creating the script for this short film, as I have no credible experience in any of the above departments.

My ethnic background is Fijian/Indian/Tuvaluan/Samoan. Since my maternal side is Tuvaluan/Samoan, I have been told many stories of Tefolaha by my mother, aunts, and uncles, over many years. It has allowed me to shape a fairly good picture of him in my head. I have some rough sketches and models of him, but they still need a lot of work!

In a nut shell, this project will serve a larger ambition, which is to preserve and educate the world about Tuvalu - a small, 8 atoll nation that may possibly be the first country to disappear if water levels continue to rise - and other magnificent Polynesian nations. We have a rich, diverse culture & history that matches the complexity, and mysteriousness, of ancient civilizations such as Egypt, Native America, the Aztecs & Incans, and even Atlantis & Lemuria. Who knows, if this project goes well, it may even be the first part of a series of credible documentaries on Polynesian myths & legends - as my family and ancestors hold a lot of secret stories that have not been shared until now.

By posting this thread today, I hope others will hear my call for help and collaboration with this ambitious project of mine. I have done a lot of work on developing the character, Tefolaha, but I will post them after I have established enough interest. Even though I've done a lot of research and work, I am prepared to scrap everything and anything with the help of able, passionate, supportive and inspiring people. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Manuia (blessings)

Siosi

PS. For more information on Tuvalu, please visit Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuvalu) .

mxdirector
01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
i am intrested, i really want to collabrate with others, and build up my experience and my portfolio.

siosism
01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi mxdirector,

I'm glad you've expressed interest. For now, though, I think I will email you privately to learn a bit more about you. Once there are enough people to help out (I'm thinking 3-7 more?), we can start delegating. I'm interested in people who are not only looking to expand their portfolio, but who are also interested in learning about another culture. Thanks for your promptness!

siosism
01-18-2008, 02:19 PM
<< Bump >>

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2008, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.