PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel- Feedback please

Gaboon
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Well, after working in the industry for almost two years, I finally decided to actually put together a demo reel. This doesn't have anything from the games I've worked on (2K sports titles) just my most recent work. Its pretty standard in terms of format, but I'd really like any feedback on the format or content. Especially anything that sticks out as bad. This is the first cut. Thanks :)

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v18357314nw8Dhpq

LaughingBun
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
i think your work is really great. I think you use too much specular on your models, but its kind of a double edges sword because it brings out your bump maps a lot better. Other than that the only thing that bothered me was the music, i found it quite annoying actually. Everytime it made that high pitched shrill, i cringed.

salman-fas
01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
One thing i noticed.....all the models have exactly same poly count...:rolleyes:
your reel looks good though:)

iLegacy
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
The art stuff is great well done - but the presentation is boring...rotating models with music is ... used tooo much by others. Maybe you can place the characters into an interessting environment and give them a cool animation.

Dargon
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
The art stuff is great well done - but the presentation is boring...rotating models with music is ... used tooo much by others. Maybe you can place the characters into an interessting environment and give them a cool animation.

I wouldn't. Waste of time. Companies looking for character modelers aren't looking for animation, they won't care whether it's good animation, and if it's poor, it will just make your reel look bad. The only thing you'll get out of it will be proof that you know how to model with animators in mind, but showing your wireframe and your resume showing your experience, and that should be covered.

Your reel looks good. I think the lizard-thing is the strongest piece.

Gaboon
01-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. Awesome feedback. I went back and toned down the spec on the gunslinger and changed her shots a bit. Also started with a better shot for the reptile. Very helpful comments. Any further feedback is appreciated. Thanks :)

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1952824XJ5JpPpy

Dagarik
01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I have to agree with one of the previous posts that said the music you've chosen to use is pretty bad/annoying, awesome work though man.

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.