PDA

View Full Version : how to rig trowser straps

dalmanna
01-02-2008, 01:32 AM
hey folks,

this might seem pretty simple but how would i go about rigging the straps on trowsers like the ones in the photo attached. they have to be rigged so i can hand key the movement, i would sim them but i'm animating a cel shaded character and simulation looks poo on a supposedly drawn character. plus i'm a timing freak:D so i basically want to control everything on this animation as theres loads of acrobatics and fighting and stuff.

the straps on my character go from the from just above the fly round to the back abouve the back pockets hanging down similar to in the photo.

i would post the character but i'm not allowed yet as this is yet to be announced.

thanks for reading.

ashishdantu
01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
hiii,

i think a gud solution wud be to rig these straps with a ribbon spine based rig as it gives you spline Ik type stretch and pose ability + allows u to stretch and squash.

this might help u > ribbon rig mel (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/character/Ribbon-rig-5030.html)

if you need anything else, shout ! :scream:

dalmanna
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
thanks for the fast reply, i'll give it a go and let you know how it turned out.

refract
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Also, for straps closer to the body, make sure there are cuts in the geometry matching the body beneath..... if not, the weighting will not match and the straps will pass through the body.

dalmanna
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Also, for straps closer to the body, make sure there are cuts in the geometry matching the body beneath..... if not, the weighting will not match and the straps will pass through the body.

all good on that front, just had little clue on how to get a good control rig for it, still think it might be tricky to pull off coz what i'm making is in a street/urban art style which makes it harder than normal to pull off, if it was realistic i'd have simed it then had control clusters to tidy it up or something like that, but this is a pain in the arse. and my job is normally just the animation bit so i'm raking my brains to remember rigging and stuffs.

thanks for ya help:thumbsup: , i'm gonna try the ribbon spline see if thats cool if not i'm prolly gonna kill myself...nah i'll just go the old school root of transforming bones, takes ages but hay its supposed to look 2d ish so i'll prolly animate on twos to help it feel that way so bones might not kill me so much...:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.