PDA

View Full Version : Animation Acting Challenge #14: Progress Thread: January 1 - January 27

SirRon
01-02-2008, 12:34 AM
See entries for the New Years Short Challenge here.

Animation Acting Challenge #14

There are two topics to choose from

1. Leg getting pulled or caught in something. Pulled with a rope? Caught in a gear?
Or
2. Audio Clip from The Office
LINK (http://lifeintheoffice.com/wp-content/audio/travelingsalesmen/Counter%20The%20Blow.mp3)

Thank you russellwilkins for providing other formats :thumbsup:
WAV (http://rtw381.aisites.com/FINAL.wav)
AIF (http://rtw381.aisites.com/Counter%20The%20Blow.aif)

Jim: After you sir.
Dwight: No thank you, I never let anyone walk behind me. Seven out of ten attacks are from the rear.
Jim: Ok, well, that still leaves a 30% chance that I will attack you from the front.
Dwight: Uh, yeah, but it will be easier to stop. I can always block the blow. I can counter it with... [Jim slaps Dwight]

There's a long pause in the end with some sounds, you have the option of continuing the animation or just ending it when Man 2 finishes his line.

Rules
Please Read me!
- Have fun animating!
- Use any rig and any animation software you like.
- Animate with any medium (3D, 2D, or stop-motion)
- You're open (and encouraged) to post your progress here if you'd like any comments and critiques.
- No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish. Make it by the due date!
- You can do both topics if you have the time. Either separately or as one animation if possible.
- You may add time before and after the audio clip, but please do not change the timing of the audio.
- A separate final submission thread will be created. Post your final animation there. I'll make the thread a few days before the deadline.
- Textures and lighting are optional. Playblasts are acceptable. Just make the acting clear and easy to see.
- Use any resolution and aspect ratio... but keep the file size manageable. As for codecs, preferably one that's common like quicktime or windows media. My recommendation would be Quicktime.
- When posting for final entry please state which topic you are animating.
- Adding music is optional, just don't make it distracting.

We'll do this for about a month (January 1st - January 27th). Then we'll vote (January 28th - January 31st). We'll vote for the best animations AND suggest topics for the next challenge in that time.

Feel free to ask questions about the challenge. We're still looking to improve how the challenge is conducted, we're open to suggestions.

Tips:
-Don't know where to upload your final animation or WIP? I recommend using www.vimeo.com. Free to register. You get to watch a streaming flash video and if you're registered, users can also download the original video source.
-The audio can also be set to mono instead of stereo, that may help keep the file size down.
-Please consider people from other countries that have certain websites filtered out. If you have webspace it would be nice to upload there to along with any streaming flash websites, at least for your final animation. I don't want anyone to miss out on the work you've done.

Monthly Animation Tip
#5 FOLLOW THROUGH AND OVERLAPPING ACTION
When the main body of the character stops all other parts continue to catch up to the main mass of the character, such as arms, long hair, clothing, coat tails or a dress, floppy ears or a long tail (these follow the path of action). Nothing stops all at once. This is follow through. Overlapping action is when the character changes direction while his clothes or hair continues forward. The character is going in a new direction, to be followed, a number of frames later, by his clothes in the new direction. "DRAG," in animation, for example, would be when Goofy starts to run, but his head, ears, upper body, and clothes do not keep up with his legs. In features, this type of action is done more subtly. Example: When Snow White starts to dance, her dress does not begin to move with her immediately but catches up a few frames later. Long hair and animal tail will also be handled in the same manner. Timing becomes critical to the effectiveness of drag and the overlapping action.
Frank and Ollie's website (http://frankanollie.com/PhysicalAnimation.html)

cowtrix
01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Great! But does anyone know of a free animation-ready rig for Cinema 4D?

SirRon
01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm trying to find some C4D rigs and I'm having a hard time. Unfortunately the CGTalk's search isn't working for me when I tried doing a search in the C4D forums.

Can anyone else help out with a C4D rig?

russellwilkins
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
We're going with the Office quote! YES!

I'm gettin' jazzercized already!

Oli4D
01-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm trying to find some C4D rigs and I'm having a hard time. Unfortunately the CGTalk's search isn't working for me when I tried doing a search in the C4D forums.

Can anyone else help out with a C4D rig?

There are some rigs in Cinema4D R10 and R10.5 in Cinema4Ds Content-Browser. Look at the Folder MOCCA > Characters.
Have you checked these? I don't know if they are good. Never used them. But maybe have a look at them.

fatgevs
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I am a super duper mega ultra noob! in fact this is may first post!:D but I'm really interested to participate in this challenge!:buttrock: can I join? I mean are there any requirements that I should submit? sorry... [a super certified noob!:p] thanks!

meyers3d
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a fun challenge.

I found some C4D rigs here:
http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=21

but im not sure how well they are.
GL

SirRon
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I am a super duper mega ultra noob! in fact this is may first post!:D but I'm really interested to participate in this challenge!:buttrock: can I join? I mean are there any requirements that I should submit? sorry... [a super certified noob!:p] thanks!

Of course you can join! All of the rules and requirements are in the first post, all you need to do is complete an animation.

MoutMout
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Here it goes again!!

I'll try the audio file...but can you put in a .waw format plz?

PS : Happy new year everybody!

russellwilkins
01-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Yo MoutMout

If you can't get the mp3 into wav, use Audacity (a killer free audio editor found here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to convert it. It is really simple to use, the conversion is clean and efficient, and its free.

Good luck everyone!

Bluder
01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
here's the correct dialog, makes more sense =)

Dwight: No thank you, I never let anyone walk behind me. Seven out of ten attacks are from the rear.
Jim: Ok, well, that still leaves a 30% chance that I will attack you from the front.
Dwight: Uh, yeah, but it will be easier to stop. I can always block the blow. I can counter it with... [Jim slaps Dwight]

HugoCierzniak
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi,

I would enjoy to participate but I can't download the sound...How can I do?
And I would like to know, Is there something to win on this contest?
Thanks to answer and good luck everybody!!

MoutMout
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Yo MoutMout

If you can't get the mp3 into wav, use Audacity (a killer free audio editor found here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to convert it. It is really simple to use, the conversion is clean and efficient, and its free.

Good luck everyone!

Allright, I've forgotten this free software lol

Thanks !

Paul4wood
01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi.

I need to convert this mp3 into a wav file too. I have tried using Audacity but it doesn't handle this mp3 format very well. The results sound extremely slowed down.

Is it possible for the moderator to post a wav file?

Thanks.

Taf
01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
going to give the audio one a shot.

Paul4wood
01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Don't worry. Changing the speed to 400% fixed it in Audacity. :)
-------------
Edit: Actually it is still a little too slow at 400%. I think I will just use Russel's conversion below. Thanks, Russel. :)

SirRon
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
here's the correct dialog, makes more sense =)

Thanks! I've updated the dialog in the post.

Hi,

I would enjoy to participate but I can't download the sound...How can I do?
And I would like to know, Is there something to win on this contest?
Thanks to answer and good luck everybody!!

Do you get an error when you try to download the audio?

There's no prize for the challenge, but the ones voted for best animation for the category will be a part of the front page plug for the next challenge :)

If you need the .wav format try using Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Unfortunately I don't have the original audio so I can't rip it from the source.

russellwilkins
01-04-2008, 06:27 AM
It's up to you guys if you want to use it, but I converted the audio to .wav and .aif (both uncompressed) and you can get it here:

WAV (http://rtw381.aisites.com/Counter%20The%20Blow.wav)

AIF (http://rtw381.aisites.com/Counter%20The%20Blow.aif)

They both sound identical to the one given, but since they are uncompressed, they are both around 7 megabytes at a sample rate of 44.1 and a 32 bit float sample rate.

I used Adobe Soundbooth CS3 for the conversion.

HugoCierzniak
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah! I get the audio file!! Thank you all...Let's animate!

EduardoKomaba
01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
yeahhh thanks!
i get the audio to =D

HugoCierzniak
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
hey eduardo,
could you tell me where did you get the model you used for your acting "Alive"?
I wasn't able to find it anywhere,maybe can you share it on the forum?
Thank you in advance...

EduardoKomaba
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi!
sure! hereīs the link for the rig http://ecentinela.blogspot.com/2005/11/lowxsiman.html

i get it at the 11secondclub website

itīs for xsi =D

HugoCierzniak
01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
too bad...I'm on maya. doesn't matter. Thank you.

jpencilworks
01-04-2008, 11:46 PM

I love it, welcome SuperNoob.

This audio is freakin cool, I've never seen the footage, but sounds like some one is gonna have a headache in the mornin.

I like the visual suggestion also, some one getting their leg pulled, I mean , come on man, are you pullin my leg? Thats a killer gag possibility there.

Great work on those New Years posts. Made me laugh.

Gonna give this one a shot.

Cheers,

Jon.

serguineh
01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
hey eduardo,
could you tell me where did you get the model you used for your acting "Alive"?
I wasn't able to find it anywhere,maybe can you share it on the forum?
Thank you in advance...

Hi HugoCierzniak you can find a lot of rigs in highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/character_rigs/) especially for Maya. by the way i really loved your : Jungle Jail :thumbsup:.

russellwilkins
01-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Normally I won't watch the video clips for the audio just to keep things from getting too restricted, but the video for this audio clip is very very funny and is worth watching.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=poDLjwSmaW0

P.S. What has two thumbs and reallllllly loves The Office?

This guy.
:thumbsup:

...okay, one thumb. BFD.

Nomowu
01-06-2008, 06:43 AM
I believe the WAV file is in apple format. I can't import it into maya on my computer. Anyone has a PC format for the audio?

russellwilkins
01-06-2008, 07:54 AM
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FREE MAYA-FRIENDLY VERSION OF THE CLIP! (http://rtw381.aisites.com/FINAL.wav)

Apologies for not testing the first wav I posted. Total rook move. This one works in Maya 8.5 for sure.

Nomowu
01-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep, it works.
Thanks, Russell

Guy In Rubber Suit
01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Oh man that is a great clip! I remember watching that when it first came on. Such comedic gold and fantastic timing. I really want to do this, though I know everyone else is too. Ah well, I'll give it a shot!

Icaris
01-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Another noob to the animation challenge here. Going to try animating a pulled leg. Good luck everyone :thumbsup:

SirRon
01-12-2008, 06:13 PM
So does anyone have a work in progress they'd like to share? I'd like to see how some of you are doing. :D

shubhojeetguha
01-15-2008, 08:24 AM
What caharcter is best for these two ???

best of luck to every 1

SirRon
01-16-2008, 02:20 AM
What caharcter is best for these two ???

best of luck to every 1

You're free to use any character you like. Pick characters you would like to work with.

rpalse20
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Anyone know which episode this is from?

SirRon
01-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Anyone know which episode this is from?

Sorry, I don't really know. Any other Office fans know? :)

ANNOUNCEMENT
The finished animation thread is now up.

torresmedia
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Maybe I could have a go at this? :) Hehe.. I'm really noob! But the wav-clip sounds fun :D

frankthetank777
01-26-2008, 06:22 AM
In the Finished animation thread, do you want us to post the link to the vimeo video, or post the clip in there with a tag?

SirRon
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
In the Finished animation thread, do you want us to post the link to the vimeo video, or post the clip in there with a tag?

Just posting a link is fine. If you can get it to play in the post that would be better but I haven't had much luck with that.

frankthetank777
01-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Cool thanks! :D

SirRon
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
The voting thread is up!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=589384

NickGooch
01-30-2008, 02:40 AM
oops, posted in the final pieces by accident... Just wanted to say I'm up for A N I M A T I N G! can't wait for the next lil challenge. Is there any ideas yet? I like the idea of having options to do actions or sound bites. Good idea on the options!

SirRon
02-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll put up the next challenge on Monday and extend the voting for the weekend.

torresmedia
02-05-2008, 06:13 AM
When is the next challange? Wasn't it suppose to starte this monday? :/

SirRon
02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Yes it was, but I've been pretty busy at work and too tired after it. Also I didn't see enough votes to help pick which animation people liked.

I'll try to get enough sleep so I can put it up in the morning.

torresmedia
02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Yes it was, but I've been pretty busy at work and too tired after it. Also I didn't see enough votes to help pick which animation people liked.

I'll try to get enough sleep so I can put it up in the morning.
Wounderfull! :bounce: This time I wanna get in on it! ;)

SirRon
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok, the new challenge is up. Tell your friends about it :)

LINK

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.