PDA

View Full Version : Digital Tutors

taxibickle
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm a Maya noob so appologies now for asking a possible dumb question, but we all have to learn somewhere.

I have a character rigging tutorial I purchased from Digital Tutors. So far it's pretty cool, but it's also very challenging. Many of the concepts introduced in the tuts don't work as expected.

I have stripped everything down and started over several times, but can't seem to get past a few things.

I figured if I started a thread here that anyone else that is having problems can collaborate with the pros to come up with solves to either do what is asked in the tuts, or offer up simpler or better ways to do the same thing.

I'm not at home right now so I don't have any specifics right now. But I thought I would start the thread anyway.

Dive in folks

jason108
01-02-2008, 05:32 AM
which dt tut are you using?

for rigging you should also get Fahrenheit digital tuts, art of rigging and animation friendly rigs.

They're a little different and all very very good.

Riggings all about knowing your options.

with cartoony characters you must try the ribbons out. So great.

taxibickle
01-03-2008, 03:56 AM
which dt tut are you using?

for rigging you should also get Fahrenheit digital tuts, art of rigging and animation friendly rigs.

They're a little different and all very very good.

Riggings all about knowing your options.

with cartoony characters you must try the ribbons out. So great.

I agree with having options. It's a must. I came from lightwave and then used messiah for a while before taking the leap into Maya. Messiah made some things so easy in comparison, but there were also a lot of limitations. Maya seems to be extremely powerful so I'm excited to learn it. It's just a bit challenging at the moment, as is any switch to a new app.

I am using the Cartoon Rigging tutorial. It's really nice, but a little hard to follow at times.

Tell me more about the other tutorials. They sound great.

Grgeon
01-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Here are the links to those wonderful rigging training material

Fahrenheitdigital (http://www.fahrenheitdigital.com)

Animator Friendly Rigging (http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplaySoftwareCategoryProductListPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&parentCategoryID=&categoryID=10570700)

CG Toolkit (http://www.cgtoolkit.com/)

-George

jason108
01-04-2008, 12:15 AM
I'd start with fahrenheit feature rigging it's very thorough and he show's the options clearly, not that there the only options but the foundation of many. I find that I didn't use much from his rig in mine cause it's quite complex, but very professional. It's werth getting just for the intro vids really. I took some of his features like the ribbons and just simplified them, which I found quite easy to do after watching it a few times how he makes the ribbons.

Next art of riggin it's not as thorough but simpler and faster to get throw.

Animation friendly comes from more of an animators view point so I thought that is was very useful as well. I'm not a pro by any means but by watching these tutorials I can quickly see how a pro thinks and works throw a problem like rigging and that's one fast way to become like a pro is to watch them in action.

Dt cartoon is the first one I did and it's great cause it's so step by step, but you don't learn as much as the others, but you have a cool rig to play with quickly.

So it depends on what you're rigging for. I want to be a total pro so watching these pro's work gave me a huge jump start.

Animation friendly goes into alot of how to approach a rig which I certainly use.

If you want to become a pro get them all. I'm not patient at all so I need these tutorials for sanity.

taxibickle
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all of the input.

Rigging is not what I ultimately want to do, but when you are like me and having to do everything you have to get good at all of it. At least good enough to get a good rig for whatever characters you are animating.

jason108
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a small production team and I need to know everything. I can delagate work only if I know how to do it first.

I had one person doing my modeling and another doing the rigging for me and it was a huge waste of time.

I'm so glad I learned rigging and modeling. It's really not hard to learn. I seriously took me a month to learn both.

I started with the dt cartoon tut. then I went to art of rigging, then fahrenhiet then animtion friendly and now my rigs are amazing and I can fix anything on them and change things to suit the character.

I guess every company is different but I think the head of the team should know how to do everything. It does take long to learn.

If you're not dependant on anyone else it's a nice freedom that the whole team can relax in. I tell them I don't need them but I want them to help.

thanks
Jason

PixelDroid
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I started with the dt cartoon tut. then I went to art of rigging, then fahrenhiet then animtion friendly and now my rigs are amazing and I can fix anything on them and change things to suit the character.
Jason:
Are all of those DT titles?

I've been working w/a different 3D package and have been using Learning Maya 8 Foundation (the one w/the characters from Open Season on the cover). Its not flawless, but has been very good as an overview for transitioning to Maya.

JYoung
01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Art of Rigging is CGToolkit, and fahrenheit is referring to the Fahrenheit Digital feature rigging series.

PixelDroid
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's a lot of studying.
Would you rank them in order of most helpful?
What's your volunteer project?

jason108
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Stop Staring was when I really understood the face. Stop Staring gave me the confidence to really give 3d a try. The face is sooo important. Not just the design but the animation and therfore the rigging. That books a must I'd say. I don't like Osipas tools but his understanding of the face is great.

I used dt for an over view

used art of rigging's video's only to help me understand whats really going on. Also he explains making your own tools really clearly. Inspired me to learn mel and start making my own tools.

animation friendly is good at showing you how to think for your self on a rigging project. Quite good.

Fahrenhiet has great intro videos example how joints and other stuff work. I'd have to say fahrenhiet is the one i'd start with because it's so thorough. It'll give you a great head start on all the tools that come with maya. But his rig is to complicated for my liking.

Actually one video I left out was Super toons! That's really where I started thinking about the rig I wanted. I was relying on other people rigging for me. So if they said we couldn't do something I took there word for it and I really didn't know my options. Unless you're had vegatarian indian food you'd probably never think about cook it.

Super toons is not really a tutorial but a "hey look what we did" kinda video. I watched it when it came out and it changed my perception of 3d animation. It really opened my eyes to the possiblities of what a rig could be. It's what inspired me to really learn rigging. The problem was I couldn't find tutorials on how they did the stuff they showed. The face was fairly thorough the body wasn't.

So it all clicked for me when I saw the fahrenheit rigging tut when he showed ribbons. I went back and checked out the cat scene from super toons and Eureka! They used ribbons in super toons!

Then I went and used the ribbons to make my own rigs. Now animation is fun! And if the rig's not doing what I like I'll change it. Ahhhh finally I can create what I want to create. I started with 2d animation. So I use to creating anything. 3d isn't limiting it's just complicated. Many little things to know. But I so glad I stuck with it.

thanks

PixelDroid
01-10-2008, 11:22 PM
I also found Stop Staring to be an excellent book. I wrote a review of it for HDRI, which is online here. (http://www.hdri3d.com/xtra/07rosefelt/index.htm)

There are quite a few "Super Toons" results at Google, which one are you referring to?

I don't generally get into political stuff on the graphics forums (been appropriately chided in the past), but seeing your signature and comment about vegetarian Indian food, I have to say that I became a vegetarian over 20 years ago for the very reason stated in your signature and I've eaten vegetarian Indian food in Benares and Dehli.

Thanks for the tips :)

Grgeon
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
it's likely this one, but there was also a part 1.

Maya Techniques - SuperToon II Body and Facial Rigging (http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=15141)

-George

jason108
01-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Cool a part 2!

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 06:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.