PDA

View Full Version : pla and f-curve

d0bermann
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
hi people,

I am animating something much like a blowhorn, and I am using a FFD deformer to support the animation. However when I animate the vertices of FFD, the easing of main animation doesn't fit to the constant speed of FFD's vertices, which doesn't show up in the f-curve either.

Is there a way to use PLA data in f-curve? any other solutions is appreciated,

Thanks,

K.

danb
01-01-2008, 02:04 PM
You could animate the FFD with extra keyframes to create the ease in and out, but the fcurve will not help with FFD.

I'm not sure if this can be done in other programs either. I've always wanted this feature in c4d though. I wonder if its even possible to effect the FFD pla with fcurves?...

A better method would be to constrain the points of your FFD to controllers and animate the controllers. Then those controlers can be effected with the fcurves. Much much faster and easier to do it this way anyways.

Good Luck.

d0bermann
01-01-2008, 02:15 PM
thanks danb, could you also explain the process you suggested? how can I assing FFD to controllers?

danb
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
You can either use Xpresso, Coffee, Cactus Dan's constraints or skin cluster (my favorite way), or i think in 10.5 there is a new point constraint tag.

There is an example xpresso expression in r10 in the library presets. Take some time to study that expression and you will come to understand how it works. Its pretty straight forward. It basically takes the point index of an FFD point and constrains it to the global (or local) position of a controller ("controller" being a null or any other object).

With Dan's tools you would assign the skin cluster tag and paint the vertex weights of the FFD. The skin cluster works like an expression but has the benefit of assigning a vertex weight.

With Dan's point constraint, this works similar to the preset i mentioned above.

I cannot comment on the 10.5 point constraint, if there is one, because i don't have that version of c4d.

Coffee is the same as xpresso but is done through a more traditional programming language and is not visually node based like xpresso.

Sneaker
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
you could also try using a time track which was discussed here the last days.

-Michael

wesware
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Using posemixer will allow you to access F-Curves for the animation of the FFD.
Here is a file for you to look at.
FILE HERE (http://www.wesart.com/downloads/ffdposes.sit)

I haven't been working with the character tools much since R9 so I'm not sure if you can get the "Morph" tag to work on an FFD (I couldn't, but that doesn't mean much... I looked at the Help on Morph tags and couldn't find the answer)

File is R10.12(?) or whatever is before 10.5 :) Gotta buy that update!

Just push play to see the fcurves working on the FFD poses.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.