PDA

View Full Version : Characters: Portfolio pieces

codyalday
12-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Heys guys and gals, hope u have a happy new year.I have some of my latest folio piece works to upload. I have also bought a tablet and am fixing up the mages hair so this WIP will be updated. Comments and crits appriciated.
Also a friend created me a website for my online portfolio which I slightly modified. The link is in my signature, tell me what you think:)
http://www.codyalday.com/images/character_aie_final.jpg
http://www.codyalday.com/images/character_final_mage.jpg

aesir
12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I've got some critiques for you.

On the first character, the chest piece, the arm bands, the leg things, they're all pretty much single lumps of medal. How would you even get them on? I dont see any clasps anywhere? Armour is always made out of many pieces. You need to find some reference. Also, for a sci fi concept, it looks like she is just wearing a lump of iron, metal from the a couple thousand years ago. When I, and prospective employers look at it, we see that you added a flat color and then added a tiling metal texture on top of it. You need to paint in light and shadow and details. Look at the textures in Quake and Unreal Tournament. Study them very carefully. The face also looks mannish and as far as I can tell, the eyes are solid white. The hands have improper anatomy. The thumb looks broken, and the fingers start too far away from the thumb.

The second character is better but needs more work. The clothes need folds painted into them, even if it's just subtle ones. Find reference and copy. The hands on this model are also pretty wonky. The character's face kind of freaks me out. I realize what style youre going for, but these things make it feel a little off. Firstly, he doesnt have any eyelids that I can see, or eyebrows. His skin also has some odd yellowish green tones to it that make him look evil/sick. The hat casts no shadow on his face, and the clothes dont cast a shadow on the clothes beneath them. You need to paint some of this in.

Thats all I've got for you right now.

Personally, I'd suggest you scrap these two and count them as learning experiences and start on some new portfolio pieces. Remember that if you want a job, you need to have to be able to create professional quality art, so find a game you admire with good art, and make art on the same level of quality.

Gaboon
01-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Pretty harsh, but I'd have to agree with every thing aesir said. Its all about looking at the best games out there and comparing your stuff to it. And really studying it, asking why your stuff doesn't look like that. Then focusing on how to bring it up to that level of quality. Just keep pushing.

antodonnell
01-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Heh codyalday, I do also agree with aesir. Getting reference and a bit more fore thought will really bring up the level of work quickly. You d be surprised. Also I find the task of keeping your standards matched to the strongest visual work out there, having this as your bench mark is really important. I m still chasing that benchmark and hopefully everyone always will be.

Theres a LOT of amazing artists on the forums and others to learn from. With all that said you do show in these models some clean modelling and good poly distribution. The second model does show you can control the unwrapping to get what you want.

I do also recommend not to rework or fix these I ve done that and worked on models for ages its not worth it. Move on , improve and get your next works in these forums soon.

codyalday
01-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Thank heaps guys, I really appriciate indepth critism, even though it sounds harsh to read lol, i will take this advice to push my self to the next level. I never really thought about how objects, materials are created.
Hopefully my next model will be up there with the industry standard. Ill keep you guys updated, thanks again:)

smurfbizkit2
01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
The best advise that I ever got here, was related to texturing...and it was to stop doing anything with the computer and go improve core art skills (drawing, painting, color theory, etc.). For you I'd put emphasis on anatomy/figure studies...since you seem to like character art.

antodonnell
01-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I know it sounds harsh but I wish I had gotten it when I started posting my earlier work. It does help development and getting where you need to be.

The really great work is created by the most observant people. Its all down to getting in as many details as possible for as cheap as you can with the resources available. Also these little touches like rivets/joins etc on the armour help sell it and make it look way better.

I do like the gears of war/ unreal styles from epic. But sometimes can be overdone. So next thing you do try gather some reference for it. You ll see yourself how it ll help.

Or even look at other peoples work here see what details they add or choose to use.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2008, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.