PDA

View Full Version : Is this forum dying a slow death?

BgDM
04-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Well, not so long ago, we Blender-heads got ourselves a forum here at CG Talk. Since then, it seems that only Appolux and JA-Forreal are the only two who seem to use it on a very regular basis.

If we want Blender to be considered among the many 3D apps out there, (and the big ones that are in primary use by the people here), should this forum not be visited more regularly and more work done in Blender be posted here?

I will fully admit that I do not visit this forum enough and I spend most of my time over at elysiun. Elysiun, to me, is the place for Blender users and not here.

That is my opinion, and I hope to be proven wrong.

BgDM

harkyman
04-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Nope. I think you're right. I check this place out usually twice a day in case someone has a question, etc. But I wouldn't really consider starting a general thread here. I'd go to Elysiun. I might WIP here, but if I were to do that, I'd probably do it in the general WIP forum.

If it dies, to me, it's just one less link to check in my morning rounds.

dreamsgate
04-23-2003, 02:41 PM
I have noticed fewer and fewer posts myself. I check here twice a day to see what's up and if there are any questions.

emtilt
04-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Yep, I check over here, but I don't post in this forum here much. If I want to post here I post in one of the main forums. If what I am saying/asking is only about Blender, I post at Elysiun. I think this forum will die.

dani
04-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Have you noticed how blender's story is always about dying and coming back again. :)

I don't feel that in a forum there's a need to have loads of posts all the time.
It is however important that when they are posts and questions someone will be there to answer, so i come around every day.
But of course, I would appreciate it if more artwork was posted around here...

But this forum is still quite far from being dead.

Dani

Bapsis
04-24-2003, 11:53 AM
I dunno about that, in its short life so far its already more than doubled the posts for the Houdini forum, and who knows how long thats been there...
I come here at least once a day, more frequently since posting my game WIP to see if anyone has replied..... :shrug:

Anywayz...

Matt

keitai
04-24-2003, 03:53 PM
As we are small-talking, i just want to add: this blender-forum on CG-talk and the forum on elysiun.com are my main resources as it comes to blender.
I must say the latter is more visited. I checked both daily. As a newbie i can learn a lot of the answers that are given on different kind of questions.

That was it so far. When i am going further with my "little" project i will post a real question or in case i know a answer, offcourse.

Grtz,

dani
04-24-2003, 09:02 PM
That was it so far. When i am going further with my "little" project i will post a real question or in case i know a answer, offcourse.

And we will be here to answer :)

Ciao!
Dani

dreamsgate
04-25-2003, 01:26 AM
We're always here, so ask away!

BgDM
04-25-2003, 04:06 AM
Yes we are always here, or at Elysiun. So definitely ask away.

I am not saying that I want this forum to die here. It just seems to me to be a little redundant when there is such a strong forum group and knowledge base present at Elysiun.

BgDM

Apollux
04-25-2003, 04:50 AM
I have also noticed the slow pace that new thread are taking around here. I wish I could do something about it, but posting nonsense questions is out of the quetion here :p

Anyways, people, why we don't see more WIP here?

Apollux
04-25-2003, 05:06 AM
By the way.... have you ever been to the collaborative work forum? some time ago I started working on a personal project (the alien thing, for those with good memory) but my cg-time has been serevily cut down by other things in my personal life (starting a new romatic relationship mainly).

The point is, I'love to see the aforementioned proyect ended but given my present circunstances I doub I can do it by myself alone. Would you be interested in making it a blender-only collaborative proyect? That could bring new air to the forum.

For those withoug good-memory, it is a short film about an Alien crashing onto the earth. It is very action oriented with the crashing sequence been the main part of the film, but also with a comic an unespected twist at the end.

Main character is 100% modeled and rigged.
Main vehicle is about 60% modeled, 90% rigged.
Secondary characters (2 more aliens) are 0% completed.
Enviroments 0%
Visual Fxs at 0%
TEXTURES at 0% (big help need here)

By the way, althought the plot may seem very done before, trust me, It will have some nice twist here and there that (hopefully) will put the animation out of the ordinary and into the CG gallery. - For example, the alien ship is more close to an ultra luxury mercedez-benz (leather interiors and all that) than to the normal flying sausage we are used to see.

BgDM
04-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Apollux: I could maybe help with some of the modelling of the vehicle, if you have some sketches to go by so I could stay true to your vision of it. I can also do some texture work for you as well.

I don't have a lot of time, but I can squeeze in about 4-5 hours a week to do some.

I want to get my F1 entry done for this years contest as well.

Drop me a PM here, or at elysiun if you are interested.

BgDM

Apollux
04-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by BgDM
Apollux: I could maybe help with some of the modelling of the vehicle, if you have some sketches to go by so I could stay true to your vision of it. I can also do some texture work for you as well.

I don't have a lot of time, but I can squeeze in about 4-5 hours a week to do some.

I want to get my F1 entry done for this years contest as well.

Drop me a PM here, or at elysiun if you are interested.

BgDM

ULTRA COOL!!

During the weekend I'll put together a little web-site within mine explaining the plot, the general vision for the whole proyect and a few things more. As I said the main character is completed and the outside of the vehicle is completed as well (even the inner workings of the ship's engine are done also)... I'm working on the inside of the cockpit (the dificult part), so texturing can be started right now if you wish.

By the way, I have a vision and a plot, but it is not written on stone, your (all forum readers) contributions and ideas are very wellcome as well.

luckybreak
04-29-2003, 02:26 AM
Well with Blenders exposure in 3Dworld mag we might see more faces here, I guess this place serves as a launchpad for people who would otherwise not stumble across Blender. Three Cheers for all you guys and gals how keep an eye on the place.:beer:

SheepFactory
05-05-2003, 07:07 PM
As you guys may have noticed side fx forum is gone.

Seeing the posts in this thread came as no surprise really , I said from the beginning that the activity would be low , and it is.

This forum , just like the wings forum was started not to compete with elysium or the official wings forum but to compliment them. Quite a few artists from here are using wings now as a result of that.

I'll let the blender forum go for now , since you guys kept it clean and mature.

Ali

derelict
05-05-2003, 07:15 PM
pack it up boys, the big guy just said they aint gonna pull the plug yet. Yup, keep the iron lung pumping.

All the best blender dudes!:beer:

onlooker
05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
derelict, this is totally off topic, but your user picture; Where can I view a larger version of it, or who is it?
:drool:

BgDM
05-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Sheep Factory: Thanks for the vote of confidence on this forum. I would like to see it continue. Just wish more people would show up here and contribute. Only seems to be a handful that do on a consistent basis.

You are correct in that we Blender users keep things clean and on the level. I think that can be said about pretty much all of us.

My only beef is that I want to see Blender get the respect that it deserves outside of Elysiun and the blender.org site.

Keep on truckin gang!

BgDM

onlooker
05-05-2003, 10:46 PM
BGDM, the link to your site is broken.

Also, is that the trooper? Used to be a huge maiden fan. :bounce:

BgDM
05-06-2003, 01:30 PM
onlooker: yep, that link is broken. I haven't changed it. sorry for that. New site will be up in the near future.

You bet that is Eddy!! Maiden rules!!! :buttrock:

BgDM

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.