PDA

View Full Version : mirror weightmap plugin???

Lippy
04-23-2003, 06:35 AM
If anyone has or knows of a link to a plugin which mirrors
weightmaps, i will be eternally grateful...

CIM
04-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Looks on Flay.com.

alaklij
04-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Lippy
If anyone has or knows of a link to a plugin which mirrors
weightmaps, i will be eternally grateful...

Vertex Paint is your answer. native to Modeler.
1. Select your bone in vertex paint
2. Edit> copy map
3. Select opposite bone
4. Edit> paste negative x

works like a charm. (as long as your model is truly symmetrical)

wgreenlee1
04-23-2003, 08:04 AM
I remember hearing that somewhere else......That should be in the "Ultimate Tips Thread".
A real life saver it is.:thumbsup:

SplineGod
04-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Yoichiros Mirror weight plugin works fine.
The only problem with using vertex paint is apparently you must have skelegons in the object. This is kind of limiting since weight maps can be used for far more then biasing bones towards skelegons.

alaklij
04-23-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Yoichiros Mirror weight plugin works fine.
The only problem with using vertex paint is apparently you must have skelegons in the object. This is kind of limiting since weight maps can be used for far more then biasing bones towards skelegons.

Right, vertex paint is dependent on skelegons. So if one makes a bone rig in Layout (since we have these new Orthopedic tools) :), it would make vertex paint almost useless. But not quite. There is another plugin available from D-Storm (called load bones) that loads bones from layout to modeler. Effectively, doing thte reverse of Convert sklegons to bones, it converts bones to skelegons. Then vertex paint can be used as a reference.

Sometimes, when not painting weights for direct influence of bones (say for a texture), I'll add a temporary "dummy" skelegon, just so I can use the painting abilites of Vertex paint.

SplineGod
04-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I dont use vertex paint that much anymore. I tend to only use weight maps as a last resort and not until after I have created my bones and have tested deformations to see where I might need to pin geometry down better. Usually I add hold bones first simply because Im already in layout and its quicker. Only after that doesnt work will I then go into modeler to create weight maps and if I do I make them very simple. I tend to be a precise about which points I pick and which ones get which weightmaps. Vertex paint is a bit too unexact for me. Also you have to be careful not to get overspray onto other vertices etc etc. IF I do use vertex paint Ill cut the geometry up temporarily to insure Im putting weights just where I need them. After trhat I merge it back in. As you said its easy enough to convert the bones to skelegons to assign weightmaps.

Kvaalen
04-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Both plugins at Flay.com for mirroring weight maps are down, but someone at the NewTek forum put up Yoichiros one, get it here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254

Cman
04-23-2003, 02:08 PM
I've used Yoichiro's plug more than once and it works just great.

SplineGod
04-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Since youre going to mirror weights this assumes that your objects geometry is perfectly symmetrical. Heres how you can do it without plugins:
1.Select the half of your object with no weights and delete it.
2. Mirror your object
3. Select the points in the new half
4. Copy the weight map and give it an appropriate name
5. Clear the old weight map

3DDave
04-23-2003, 10:10 PM
I just got the Todd Grimes DVD set and I found out that you can use the same weight map on the left and right arms since the bones are furthur away from each other. Using Symetry mode you can then select the polygons and apply the weight map evenly.

SplineGod
04-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by 3DDave
I just got the Todd Grimes DVD set and I found out that you can use the same weight map on the left and right arms since the bones are furthur away from each other. Using Symetry mode you can then select the polygons and apply the weight map evenly.
You can do that (which I do sometimes) but that doesnt work as well when you need tighter control (around elbows) or falloff . Also for some it can be a little confusing when you have bones different limbs assigned to the same weight map.

cok3
04-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Newbie question: How do you delete weight maps? I got a bunch of useless weightmaps named after bones for some reason with no weight data in them. How do i delete them in modeler?

texelator
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Im pretty sure that theres a delete map command.

mhunt
05-01-2005, 12:55 AM
I don't know these pulg-ins you mentioned, but I been able to mirror weightmaps for my characters manually and easy.

For most characters I usually work half of it and them simply mirror the other half. The weightmaps are mirrored too, so, for example, I end_up with the same weightmap for both legs, since I need the saem weightmap but with different name for each leg, I just 'copy' the weighmap to another name, then use 'select by map name' to select all the points of each weightmaps and 'set map value' to 0 to the side that doesn't need to be there. Easy way to have the same weightmap values for both legs with different weightmaps names.

I used them on my characters on this thread.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=219978&goto=newpost (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=219978&goto=newpost)

opreska
10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Does anybody know if Yoichiro's plugin will work with Lightwave 8. I believe I tried using it a few months ago when I upgraded. However, I remember it not working correctly. Anyone else having the same problem? (BTW I'm currently on 8.3)

Blabberlicious
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
My Choice: David Ikeda's Kung Fu Tools - very nice weight mapping, flipping - plus a whole bunch of other rigg-centric tools.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.