PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds....Whats everyone do in Maya?

wgreenlee1
04-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Whats everryone do for things like skys?
I'm so used to Lightwave with SkyTracer and Gradients for backgrounds I'm totally lost on what to do.
Ive been sorting through tutorials and looking around but still I'm confuzzled....:hmm:

Does everyone map spheres or use the image plane....?
Maya really needs a SkyTracer~like backdrop....heck gradients are even pretty cool if you work them just right.
Not saying that SkyTracer is the best or anything but I was wondering is it all about compositing with Maya when it comes to backdrops?

floguyep
04-23-2003, 05:49 AM
I usually just map a sphere, but I think that's the n00b way to do it.

wgreenlee1
04-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Well.....this is what I got so far......I'm not likeing this at all.....
This is with a image plane but in Lightwave you can animate the skys.......:hmm:
I'll keep working at it but Maya is going to have to get some kinda "Sky" thing going...maybe in "5" huh?:rolleyes:

playmesumch00ns
04-23-2003, 09:55 AM
but Maya is going to have to get some kinda "Sky" thing going...maybe in "5" huh?

Probably not. There's Arete DNT, but that costs a lot of money.

You could use an image sequence on an image plane, or you could map several sequences to a sphere. Or you could model stuff in the background. Or you could render out a sky in lightwave and bring it in on the image plane. Or you could use beaver, fbx or polytrans to move your maya animation back to lightwave and render there. Or you could write a skytracing shader in RSL and use any renderman renderer to render your scene, or just the background.:)

Lyr
04-23-2003, 04:34 PM
have you tried the env sky procedural at all?

kmp3d
04-23-2003, 05:55 PM
yeah I thought the env sky works pretty good

izzylong
04-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Otherwise, track and composite works for me:)

mental
04-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Maya 4.5>5.0 Unlimited has 2D/3D Fluid Effects. you can use a 2D simulation as a texture map which gives good animatable and accurate results. the 3D simulation is impressive but costly if you're under a tight deadline.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/unlimited/fluideffects.shtml

beaker
04-23-2003, 07:36 PM
env sky tut here:
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Learn/how_tos/rendering/env_sky/index.html

wgreenlee1
04-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Duh!!!
What was I thinking.....?
Ok...I guess I'm just so crammed with everything that I'm over loking the obvious.....

Thanks for the help.

izzylong
12-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Link is down due to the redesign of Alias's site, so anyone got a summed-up version of the env-sky tut they could share?

As the docs (not surprisingly) only show what it does, and how to tweak it, it DOES NOT show how to make one. ??

Map it to a slot in a shader?
By itself?

In meantime, I'll just use 2d image mapped to sphere, or tracking in post...

Jackdeth
12-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Do not ever use CG generated skies. Thats a bad, bad idea, and you will get burned badly from it. Get a camera, and take a REAL photo. Then go into photoshop and paint and color it any way you need to .

Dont use CG just for the sake of CG. Always try starting with something real, and then modify it. The same goes with texture maps. Having a photographic image to start from always looks better 90% of the time.

JOSICH
06-15-2004, 10:56 AM
I m used a image plane with environment sky texture and it give me a relative good result, without large time render.

Ciao :p

one
06-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Do not ever use CG generated skies. Thats a bad, bad idea, and you will get burned badly from it. Get a camera, and take a REAL photo. Then go into photoshop and paint and color it any way you need to .

Dont use CG just for the sake of CG. Always try starting with something real, and then modify it. The same goes with texture maps. Having a photographic image to start from always looks better 90% of the time.

I agree, don't bother with stuff like enviroment shaders etc.... just map a real texture on to a geo...
try here.. http://www.1000skies.com

lazzhar
06-24-2004, 07:53 PM
one thanks for the links, I was looking for something like that for a while now.

ps:
It seems this is an old thread, and most of guys here are not coming anymore :(

NightCrawler3d
06-25-2004, 02:13 AM
env sky tut here:
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Learn/how_tos/rendering/env_sky/index.html
this is not working anymore
i dont know why alias removed the how to section it wqas very nice.
i was lucky so save the sky tut and some other tuts though :)

Art1977
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
this is not working anymore
i dont know why alias removed the how to section it wqas very nice.
i was lucky so save the sky tut and some other tuts though :)

Could you please send me the env sky tutorial ?

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.