PDA

View Full Version : Game Art: Shrek, Pixelpuppet (3D)

glennn
04-23-2003, 03:46 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23652/shrek_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23652/shrek.jpg)

These are just some of the characters I have
thought were worthy of showing around.
Feel free to comment on any of my work.

click on the image or goto

www.glenharris.com

Look in the Low_Poly section for the game
characters.
Also look for the Flash Turnarounds thumbnail
next to the comments.

I have also posted in the Artists looking
for work section

Cheers
Glen

dodgy
04-23-2003, 03:52 AM
awesome! shrek looks fantastic!

buzzlightyr
04-23-2003, 12:00 PM
shrek was def my fav

tpe
04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Hey again, think i have commented on most of them before, still think you should concider removing batman, as all the otheres are much more 'photogenic :) Really good all of them.

tpe

DaKrunch
04-23-2003, 02:23 PM
cool...

may i ask how old are u?

buzzlightyr
04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
he was born in November 7, 1972:cool:

harmonic01
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
kick ass stuff. How come you don't use triangles in your low poly characters? They all seem to be made out of quads only. I bet you could save some polycount if you used triangles in zig zag this way /\/\/\/\/

Still, your stuff looks freak'n awesome.

WonderWolf Drew
04-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Hey, great work man. Really liked it. :thumbsup:

WW

goodlag
04-24-2003, 02:57 AM
sweet:drool:

great work
:applause:

Kalel06
04-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Batman rules! :xtreme:

CGmonkey
04-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Aaaah you've ripped the colors from cgtalk!! mwuahaha.. ;)

Nice work though!! Keep it up! :)

glennn
04-25-2003, 12:30 PM
I did use the cg colours ...
Just found them to be so appealing.
: )
cheers

ostov
04-25-2003, 12:56 PM
great stuff man!!

ostov

demo38
04-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Very nice work! :beer:

Solesurvivor
04-25-2003, 02:21 PM
wow, shrek is amazing, didn't see it at first that he was low-poly, except for the lower part of his shirt beneath his belt... very nice

stephen2002
04-25-2003, 02:23 PM
great work, I really like the Skyguard vehicle on your site. It looks like a lot of these could be plopped right into any current game a they would look great. Some of them seem a wee bit too high-poly though, espeically the tank. Although for newer games they are probably good.

Beastie
04-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Your original characters I like especially! Who needs another SHREK MODEL. LONG LIVE ORIGINALITY!!!! :D

RKanyama
04-25-2003, 03:02 PM
I really like it all and I think Batman can stay! Your website is nice too. Keep up the good work!

-Ron
fluentmultimedia.com:applause:

baby
04-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Jimmy Neutron is :bounce:

I love Jimmy...

platypus
04-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Batman model is fantastic. the whole look fits perfectly with the aesthetic of the recent cartoon series.

nicely done.

jayjun
04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Excellent low poly and texturing work!!

Batman doesn't look right maybe cos the legs look a bit scrawny, kinda like taken from a girl model with the calves pumped up.

Speaking of which, I like the old batman logo better. They shouldn't have removed the upwards "hook" on the wing.

phatlip
04-25-2003, 04:22 PM
awesome stuff there Glen.

cant wait to see those characters come to life. :twisted:

seeyah on the weekend!...

my shout :beer:

Oscar

cgjie
04-25-2003, 04:25 PM
perfect lowpoly model!
very nice!
:bounce:

ElysiumGX
04-25-2003, 04:44 PM
I remember you pimping Shrek over at polycount a few months ago. Good stuff.

I like the iron guy the most.

PolyMangler
04-25-2003, 05:13 PM
i think the batman one is one of your best, definate keeper :thumbsup: you managed to get the feel fo the charecter quite nicely

illOgic
04-25-2003, 05:25 PM
TY yay! my son loves that title, and we look forward to TY2. :) good work on the low polys, looks very good.

OsMoNd
04-25-2003, 05:46 PM
OMG :beer: you rockz :buttrock:

ZVAN
04-25-2003, 06:18 PM
wow! u work in a game company? cool! nice works! :cool:

b.Schulz
04-25-2003, 06:28 PM
dam, that shrek mesh looks great! Is Shrek immitating the Hulk on your homepage. heheheh. or maybe it's the other way around. Love those models!!! Shrek and Jimmy Neutron are my fav's.

metal me solid
04-25-2003, 06:33 PM
whioaaaaaaaaa!! AWSOME WORK! im goin to try that stuff, hahah! anyway! love our work, your reaaaaally pro.. but.. can u please make the fontsize on ur site a lil bigger :?

awsome, i love it all.. they all look like the original game models.. or.. are they..

:wavey: :thumbsup: :wip: :applause: :eek:

Asorson
04-25-2003, 07:05 PM
These are some nice characters, but they are not low-poly. Low poly is more than a polycount, it should be called optimized-poly instead.

First off you have modeled in quads or n-gons and there is nothing wrong with that, I model in quads sometimes too. But you have to convert to triangles before counting the polygons because the only count that matters in game development is triangle count. Secondly these models looks like they were created with some sort of subdivision or tesselation technique, even if they are not there are hundreds of wasted polygons that add nothing to the form of the model.

Low poly modeling requires an entirely different technique and approach to modeling than what most people are used to. The cardinal rule is to never have a vertex lie along a straight line (or a slight angle depending on how high your poly limit is) unless it is at an animateable joint. If there is a vertex along a straight line you eliminate it and you still have a straight line so there is no impact on the overall form of the model, however you have reduced the polycount. If there is a vertex intersecting an edge which creates a slight angle you eliminate the vertex and it creates a straight line, thus reducing the polycount and impacting the form of the model only marginally (depending on the degree of the angle you just eliminated).

These models would probably not fly even in next generation consoles that had a 5,000 poly character limit because these same characters could be 1/3 that and retain the same shape. The programmers and art director would be immediately up your ass to optimize them or add more detail that warrants the extra polygon usage.

They are nice looking though.

Scandell
04-25-2003, 07:49 PM
pretty cool

Teyon
04-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Great stuff! I tired my hand at a Paul Dini bats using Rhino and was surprised how cool that style is in 3D. They should make an animated 3D movie in that style one day. Great work!

JDaniel
04-25-2003, 09:36 PM
That Shrek is right on! :buttrock:

BadKarma
04-25-2003, 10:06 PM
beautiful ! im loving the "skrek Turnaround" on your webby too. and that funny lil tin headed dude is quick good too !

BadKarma

ilasolomon
04-25-2003, 11:13 PM
he was born in November 7, 1972
:D just 3 days older than me! :p ... I like low-polys very much :thumbsup:

GavinG
04-25-2003, 11:37 PM
Good work man,

I like your originals the most 1) because the kick ass and 2) personal preference. It's always good to see the style of the artist.

:buttrock:

Gav

jfalconer
04-25-2003, 11:47 PM
your Jimmy Neutron is freakin awesome.

lildragon
04-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Big D
LONG LIVE ORIGINALITY!!!! :D

If you're promoting that, you should really consider changing your avatar ;) I kid, I kid :D

PiXeLPuPPeT I really dig your turnaround, I did something similiar in fact with flash also http://www.eyecandystudios.net/temp/turtle_rotate.htm

Your's is cool because it's much simplier :) With mine although it's a bit more complex it's still easy to update, all I have to do is drop the rendered frames in a movieclip :) we should talk one of these days.

salud and awesome work, well deserved the plug :thumbsup:

Chaos Maximus
04-26-2003, 12:30 AM
very nice, i aggre though that batman doesnt hold up against the others, the other 3 are awesome.

chaos

glennn
04-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Just woke up this morning and discovered an amazing amount of replies..

:eek:

Good responses too..
I would like to clear a few things up about my work.

None of this was ever done with nurbs or subdivision techniques.

And yes i do agree that some of them are done rather high in polycount.

I do have various levels of detail for some of these models, that would be a little friendlier to next generation consoles.
And I have used all LOD on our PSII, XBox and GC test stations and it runs fine.

Fortunately though, Krome Studios Engine pushes poly's like you wouldn't believe and has no problems whatsoever throwing any of these characters around with ease.

And yes ... All the models have the true polycount.

Max and maya has this really neat little function where you can display your model in quads, turning off those horrible edges that make working messy... This allows you to see edge loops and help with creating a nice flow of geometry.
I dont like to see models displayed in triangles. Just looks a mess. So I allways work and present the edged faces off. The triangles do not magically dissapear upon exporting to the game engine. ;)

Anyways ..
Cheers for now
And thanks for the great replies...

Harris

Solve
04-26-2003, 04:45 AM
Max and maya has this really neat little function where you can display your model in quads

where is that option located? :shrug:

lildragon
04-27-2003, 02:35 AM
One of the best game artists I've seen on here, seriously not kidding. I totally dig your shrek and the IronBark and of course Neutron. But I decided to enter Shrek into the gallery :)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Stunning work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

BadKarma
04-27-2003, 01:15 PM
PiXeLPuPPeT mate well done for gettin tha Cgtalk award verygood to have u here showing us you models fella !

BadKarma

timdawg
04-28-2003, 01:35 AM
nice work Harris!

giantrobot
04-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by jayjun
Speaking of which, I like the old batman logo better. They shouldn't have removed the upwards "hook" on the wing.

Friend, you must be young, because the logo that this artist is using IS the old logo. This logo was re-introduced by Frank Miller in the Dark Knight.

end of my nerdy rant :)

Beastie
04-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
If you're promoting that, you should really consider changing your avatar ;) I kid, I kid :D

Well, my avatar is.... well, me lol. That was made from a scan of my face. My OWN visage is original, its mine and mine only. ANYWAYS :p LOL Lil Dragon must have a thing for Shrek.

Once again great models! :thumbsup:

VagrantImpulse
04-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Dont Remove Batman!!

Despite what that guy said, he looks the best. Batman actually at one point was square like that. It was during the Animated Series that still sometimes airs on Cartoon Network. That actually looks just like him! Very good job and keep up the good work!

Stevie
04-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Love the Ned Kelly look-a-like!

hahahaha[coughcoughGASP] eerrr excuse me...

"such is life" and so on and so on...

ummmm great work
:thumbsup:

RedFish
06-11-2003, 07:16 AM
fantastic lowpoly. batman seems to be a little behind compaired to the others. He may need a little work.

madshooter
10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Shrek is looking really cool. Both Model and Texture are amazing. Somehow I am not able to
check your website it is showing an error "page not displayed".
Great job:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.