PDA

View Full Version : Subdivide Tool in just Y direction?

Levitateme
04-23-2003, 01:02 AM
I was looking for a tool , were i could select my faces and have it split evenly . Like the connect tool in mirai. I by accident selected some faces, clicked on the subdivide tool and it split perfectly. The problem is it splits the X diretion as well. Does anyone know how i could make it so it only splits in the Y direction? I dont know how to write scripts im goign to order the book by david Gould , i hope that will help. When i say Y direction im playing around on a sphere, and its in the Y direction now. So depending on what im splitting it could change direction. I hope this isnt to complicated request thanks

Tim

gmask
04-25-2003, 09:08 PM
The split polygon tool will snap to the midpoint of an edge.

Here's a script for ya..

Select the two edges you wish to split and it will do exactly that..

string $sel[]=`ls -sl -fl`;

string $buffer[];
$numTokens = `tokenize $sel[0] "[]" $buffer`;
print $buffer[1];

string $buffer2[];
$numTokens = `tokenize $sel[1] "[]" $buffer2`;
print $buffer2[1];

string $buffer3[];
$numTokens = `tokenize $buffer[0] "\." $buffer3`;
print $buffer3[0];

eval("polySplit -ch on -s 1 -ep "+$buffer[1]+" 0.5 -ep "+$buffer2[1]+" 0.5 "+$buffer3[0]);

Levitateme
04-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Hey G, I tried taht script you posted. It works, but it only works if the edges are on the same face. Like if i want to split down a whole arm, it wont do taht. Is the script able to do that? Btw really appreciate you helping me out like that very cool.

gmask
04-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Levitateme
Hey G, I tried taht script you posted. It works, but it only works if the edges are on the same face. Like if i want to split down a whole arm, it wont do taht. Is the script able to do that? Btw really appreciate you helping me out like that very cool.

Actually I did start to make it split down as many edges as you select but due to a limitation in Maya that will not return things in the order selected it does not work that easily.

There is a way to make that work but I don't think it will beable to allow you to select two edges that aren't on the same face and split everything in between.. more likely it will only split every edge in that row which is not as usefull.

Levitateme
04-26-2003, 10:04 PM
cool thanks for all that G, i plan to learn mel and some day i will make that gd tool. thanks again. no need to reply

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.