PDA

View Full Version : cooler rendering? (CPU temp getting scary)

Conscars
12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I want to render this scene, but every time I do, I watch my CPU temp go slowly up to 80 degrees C! At that point, I ended the process, because opening up my case and pointing a floor fan into it obviously wasn't helping much. Is there a way to put less of a load of my processor without reducing quality?

Hamburger
12-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Is it a multicore processor? If it is you could always limit the amount of CPU's Maya or mental ray uses in the batch rendering options (ie instead of using two, you can limit it to utilize 1 processor).

But I'd look at using some better cooling in your computer if it really worries you.

TheNeverman
12-27-2007, 09:41 PM
first thing to try - vacuum/blow out the dust building up in the heatsink.

did you seat the cpu/heatsink yourself? possibly bad contact or bad thermal paste application...

Conscars
12-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, it's a dual core processor, and no, I didn't seat it myself. It does look a bit dusty though, I'll blow it out and try again. I'd just rather have slower rendering than having to upgrade my cooling.

Gravedigger
12-28-2007, 01:56 AM
i had problems with my graphics card because of dust in the fan. so you follow neverman's advice it should really help.

another thing is that you can just open your side door of your computer :-D

sometimes a additional fan can really help and they don't really cost a lot.

TheNeverman
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
also - what are you using to monitor the cpu temperature?

chronic
01-03-2008, 02:12 AM
good cooling is very important for every part of your computer (graphics, hard-drives) and there is no real substitue for it. at the minimum you should have a fan in the front of your case, for intake, a fan in the back for exaust, and a good cpu heatsink that is properly installed. a side fan is also good for exaust from the graphics card.

cleaning the dust on your heatsinks will help alot, also leaving the side open can sometimes help (but its dangerous if you bump something)

there really is no way to force your processor to work slower, but you could try running your render on only one core (probably wont make much difference)

Heat is the #1 killer of all computer components. IMO heat above 60 Celcius is dangerous

rBrady
01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I would upgrade your CPU cooler if you do a lot of rendering. I use this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Its about $20, and there is an amd version as well. I have bought over 20 of these things. I run a bunch of quad cores @ 3.2ghz in a room that gets up to 80 degrees day and night and I have never had a problem. Its almost silent too (nice for workstations). Be warned, its huge, I had to bend a media center chassis a bit to get it to fit. Normal cases should have no trouble though.

inguatu
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
cooling is very important.. more important than trying a workaround by "slowing" down your renderer.

Kel Solaar
01-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Im currently working on a M90 Dell laptop. A day while watching the TV the computer suddendly shutoff. I tried to reboot it, impossible. I started to turn it a little bit and my hand touch the part where the graphic card is set. It was bloody hot. I waited a little bit restarted the laptop, did all the diagnostics tests, everything went fine. I just launched a game after installed Speedfan and started to check the different sensors temperature (there is a sensor on pretty every element that can be hot) The CG card started to raise in temperature, pushing up to 85-90. I went to a shop to buy some dust remove gaz and blow it in the laptop air grids, a cloud of dust started to invade the room around me, but if you had a look at the laptop it wasnt so clear that there was so much dust inside it. Result is that the graphic card has now an average temperature of about 65-70. Thats still a lot but more in the average of modern hardware.
"Dust Is Evil"

alexx
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
your CPU definitely is already meant to die soon.

there is no dual core CPU that can stand more than 60 celsius on a long run. you reduce the cpu lifespan a lot with higher temperatures.

get a better cooling and especially care for the fan/cpu connection surface. there is absolutely no way around this!

btw: opening the case is usually a very bad idea, since like that you break the air stream in your machine. it is much more likely that you have static warm air in the vicinity of your components than with a closed and propperly cooled system (front blow in, end blow out setup)

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.