PDA

View Full Version : Check my system *please*

danylyon
04-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I need a new computer at work. I do mainly 3D (Maya) and Compositing (After Effects). I do TV Spots (occasionally for the big screen) and TV Designs.
I want a fast system, but no total overkill.

----------
Intel SE7505VB2 Vero Beach Dual XEON
2x Intel Xeon 3.06GHz
4x Kingston ValueRAM 512MB DDR RAM ECC PC2100

PNY nVidia Quadro4 750 XGL

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD, 10'000rpm, 36GB, SATA (System Harddisk)

Promise FastTrak 133 TX2000 PCI
2x Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB 7200rpm IDE 120GB
(Video IDE RAID disks)

Plextor 48x24x48x IDE, BLACK intern,
3.5' Floppy, BLACK
Tekram 1394 FireWire PCI

Lian Li Alu-Midi-Case. PC-6099B
Enermax EG465AX-VE Power Supply ATX 460W

Cherry Tastatur PS2 (BLACK), Logitech MX™700 Cordless Opt.Mouse, Win XP
----------

My Questions:
1) Those are 2 CPU's with HT (makes "4").. will Mental Ray For Maya work on all (I thought it was limited on 2)?

2) I haven't found any reviews about the Motherboard.. the specs seem good... is it a total noname? Unfortunatly it doesn't seem to be possible to get supermicro boards here.

3) 460W Enermax.. is that enough?

4) Does this all fit into a midi Case?

5) I've looked into SATA Raid's their still overpriced in my opinion (about 500$ just for a controller). How much faster are they?

6) If I'd wait another month (which I prolly have to anyway).. would you recommend an Opteron?

I'll built the system myself.. but won't pay for it... so I really want to double and tripple check everything that I make no mistake. So every help is very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

danylyon
04-22-2003, 10:39 PM
7) On the specs of the mobo it says only up to 2.8Ghz CPU's.. will it support the 3Ghz?

elvis
04-22-2003, 11:38 PM
1) i'm not 100% sure, but i believe mental ray is licensed per processor? if that's the case it will use as many "processors" as it is licensed for.

if that's not the case, then it will utilise the "4" processors. you can always turn off HT if you don't like the feature. experiment with it on and off and see what suits you best. remember you need to use windows2000 server or windows XP pro for the 4 processors to show up!

2) the specs i found (http://www.microtronicafi.com/product/servers/00001215.html) on the board say it's an intel made board (unlike the more common intel chipset on 3rd party board you see in single processor systems). the E7505 chipset is a pretty good one, so i wouldn't expect you'd have any trouble with it. certainly not a no-name.

3) i would think 460W is enough. you've got 3 hard disks, a cd-rom and a pro video card in there, which these days isn't that far above the norm. if you were throwing SCSI RAID gear in there i'd be inclined to jump into the 500/550W range. if the budget permits, i'd get something better just in case you feel the need to add more to your system later.

4) assuming you've got enough drive bays, it should fit. although, the motherboard is quite large. check the size of the board and the size of the case first.

having said that, with that much stuff in there (quadro4, 4 drives and 2 xeons), i'd go for a larger full-tower case just to get some decent airflow. it's gonna get mighty hot in there!

5) in today's world, SATA isn't a feature you'd pay extra money for. basically speaking it offers a better upgrade path for IDE devices than the ageing parallel systems we've been using these last 10 or so years. give it 24 months and you'll probably see parallel ATA (PATA) devices completely phased out. performance wise there won't be much of a boost until SATA drives are optimised for the new technology, and RPM speeds jump again to 10K RPM en mass.

6) this is a dicey question for a couple of reasons: firstly the opteron (at best guess anyway) will be hellishly expensive on debut. secondly while operating systems will certainly support the x86-64 instruction set to take full advantage of it, your applications will most likely take another 6 months or more before they are released with full opteron support. that is not to say they won't work on opteron, just that they may take their sweet time before they can take full advantage of the 64bit pilelines.

my advice on opteron for anyone considering it is to give it a few months of existence before racing out and buying it. you'll see opteron be snapped up by unix and linux server users much more happily in the first 3-6 months of it's life than anywhere else due to it's "wide" architecture, which is where it's needed most.

7) from what i've googled, your board will support the 3GHz xeons. the specs state it will support ANY 533MHz FSB xeon. you may need to flash the BIOS of course, but that should be no problem.

Raffaello.S.
04-23-2003, 06:35 AM
HI, i think that there is no reason to go for 4x512 ram..when you can go for 2x1Gb, take a look at www.computeruniverse.net
I bought from there my last system they have good prices..

Regrds
Raffaello

danylyon
04-23-2003, 07:30 PM
elvis!

Thanks a LOT!

1) So I'll just try.. it won't change my specs anyway.

2) mhmm..Oddly.. at your link, it says it's a Server board and it lists SCSI. I'd buy it from here (http://www.digitec.ch/cgi-bin/mitte_produktedetail.php?AI=MBR103703). Now I notice It doesn't even say it's ATX.

My other board choice would be: ASUS PP-DLW (http://www.stegpc.com/details.asp?prodid=asu-PP-DLW).

What would you recommend if I weren't limited to this few choices? (maybe it's cleverer to import something more common than try to use something odd)

3) ok.. I'll stay at 460W then.

4).. as for heat.. its an ALU case and has 4 built in fans.. I'd really love to go with it, as I don't like big towers. Maybe if I'd get better CPU Fan's than the Stock Fan's.?

5) ok.. IDE RAID then..

6) That's about my conclusion..

7) ok

Raffaello.. you brought up a good point.. unfortunatly where I want to buy the biggest memory is 512MB.

My Question though:
8) Will I need RDRAM or DDR-RAM? What means ECC and PC2700 / PC 3200 ??

raz-0
04-23-2003, 09:45 PM
It's an extended ATX board. it won't fit in most mid towers. In ones it will fit in it will be very tight, and it may not match the standoffs, whcih is bad.

rouslan
04-23-2003, 10:36 PM
1) i'm not 100% sure, but i believe mental ray is licensed per processor? if that's the case it will use as many "processors" as it is licensed for.

From what I know, Mental ray on XSI sees only physical CPU's and will support 2 cpu's per license. Don't know about Maya plugin, though.

As far as your PSU, I got Antec 550W EPS12V. 460 Watts is the the minimum for Xeons, so if you have several HD's that might be cutting it close.

Mistyk
04-24-2003, 08:43 PM
danylyon,

As rouslan indicated, you should make sure to get an EPS PSU with the four pins of the EPS connedtor arranged to suit the specs of the board (1x4 vs. 2x2 IIRC).

The E7505 chipset is thought to support the 4 GHz 533 MHz FSB Noconas when they arrive. However, your particular board might not have the required microcode to support those CPUs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.