PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mel Studio - anyone using it?

Matt Leishman
04-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone-

I just discovered this new tool that has been developed for the purpose of replacing the Script Editor. It is supposed to make the process of writing MEL scripts easier, or at least more comfortable.

Is anyone using it? You can find info about it here http://www.maxliani.com/technology/BlueMelStudio_MainEn.html

Just curious. I've installed the plugin myself and it works, and looks as though it may be a quality tool.

MaxL
04-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi folks!
I'm Max Liani. The Blue Mel Studio plug-in is developped by me.:rolleyes:
If you have any question about it, ask me please!!

Max

CaptainSam
04-25-2003, 02:53 AM
Max, what youre doing here is bloody brilliant. Cant wait for version 1, or the Maya 5 version

A few comments

Would it be possible to show line numbers next to each line

How about a popup menu showing all possible flags for a command (if you tie that to the help command in mel, getting a list of flags and building a menu from that may not be too hard)

Maya docs help and the help and whatIs commands also ought to be available from a popupmenu when you right clik a selected word.

Maybe the history panel ought to be on top, since that's what everyone is used to in Maya's scriptEditor

MaxL
04-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Ciao!

I'm waiting for Maya 5.0 too, so I can release BMS for that platform.

In the current release of BMS you can get the complete flags list of a mel command by pressing F1 over a typed mel command. This will show the documentation of that command, but the second way, more easy, that you suggest me is a good idea.

Thank you

Max

tymznd
04-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Max

Is it too much to ask for a Mac version?

MaxL
04-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Hi rhythmone.
Usually it's not difficult to develop a Maya plug-in for multiple platforms.. if the plug-in is completely built with Maya API, it's necessary only to rebuild the project on varius platforms (linux, win32, sig, mac..)

Unfortunately Maya's API does't have any functionality to build new UI elements, like new controls, new kind of panels... so, to do that, it's necessary to do a beat of cheat and use the operating system API, like Windows or Mac ones.

BMS user interface is based on Windows API. To have a Mac or Linux release, I have to develop from zero the whole plug-in... I've never had the opportunity to learn Linux or Mac API...

I'm really sorry!

Max

tymznd
04-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the explanation...:)

CaptainSam
04-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Have you thought about releasing the source code? Im sure theres a lot of linux and mac people that would love to get their hands on it

MaxL
05-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Hi CaptainSam, i think it is too early to release the source code. The whole source code will be revised in order to reach the 1.0 release.
May be in the future...

But now, if you want, a new upgrade of BMS (Blue-Mel Studio) is available in my web site.

http://www.maxliani.com/technology/BlueMelStudio_MainEn.html (www.maxliani.com/technology/BlueMelStudio_MainEn.html)

Max

Ozren
05-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey MaxL, great work you are dooing for other people, keep it up !

Can you compile a new ver for Maya 5.0?

Thanks alot !
Bye

EDIT : Btw, if you are using Win API, could you please make one more feature :)...realy not hard one.... background pic....i would love to have some background pic while writing MEL, i thinks others would like it too :D

Thx !

wgreenlee1
05-03-2003, 05:56 AM
I am also waiting on a Maya5 version of this.

MaxL
05-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Of course Ozren...
Now you can change the background color... but if you want to set a background pic.. next release :-)

I'm waiting for A|W maintenance... As soon as I have Maya 5.0...

Max

Doogie
05-03-2003, 02:06 PM
You have a great, functional plugin... something I love not haveing to leave Maya for.

I got a few things for a wishlist:
making it avaliable to put in a 2 pane layout (i hate how the script editor has to cover up my view of the scenefile!
color coding would be badass! Perhaps you could just borrow it from one of the many config files written for one of the many other apps? Looks like youve already started :p
a checkbox to display line numbers is good
I, too, would be very interested a linux version (i know it requires a code overhaul :annoyed: )

props on your work so far!
:beer:

X-Tender
05-03-2003, 06:04 PM
I would welcome a Button that source the text i have in the Clipboard! ;) ...

AmateurOne
05-06-2003, 03:24 PM
I've had some problems that seem to be associated with loading and running BMS. MaxL, Could you take a look at my thread "adding item to menu..." and see if BMS is OK?

Edit: Sorry, it's not BMS:hmm:

X-Tender
05-06-2003, 05:12 PM
i found a verry small bug .. it heapons if you open BMS and type your code .. type .. type.. type ... and when you click the first time in into the history window it JUMPS!!! to the first line ... so that i have to scoll down .. i knwo it is a realy smal lbug, but it would be good if you check this =) ... and what about some buttons in the shelf for clear history and toggle code remove after code ... and source clipboard =)

MaxL
05-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi Folks!

Doogie: I'm wating to solve some problem in order to add a coloser sintax highlight, but it's a thing I want to Implement. I can also try to implement as a panel, tha would allow to put BMS into the Maya quad view...

X-Tender: it's a nice idea. I wanto to buid a kind of multi buffer to execute temporary command.. I like it! And for the bug, I'll have a look for it.

AmateurOne: I replied to your thread about how to correctly add a new menuItem to an exiting menu.

Max

MaxL
05-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi Folks!!

I'm proud to tell you that BMS(beta) for Maya 5.0 is released!

check this link:

www.maxliani.com/technology/BlueMelStudio_MainEn.html (http://www.maxliani.com/technology/BlueMelStudio_MainEn.html )

Max

Buexe
05-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Thank you very much MaxL for this very useful plugin. I use it everyday now and is much better than the Script editor (which is easy to achieve ; )) or toglling between Uedit and Maya etc.

What would be very, I mean very very cool would be the integration into the Maya user interface as a pane window (not pain) as it was requested by an earlier poster, because that would the overall Maya layout much better . And a recent mel-file list would be comfortable but not vital.

Thanx again :beer:
Buexe

Gremlin
05-26-2003, 10:35 AM
wait so MaxL, can you explain what exactly this Blue-Mel thing is and how exactly its better?
thanx!
Cheers,
:beer:

MAYA FOREVER!!

MaxL
05-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks Buexe,
the recent mel-file list is i nice idea, you'll find it in the next release!

Gremlin: Blue-Mel Studio is a plug-in that add to Maya a new tool for mel writers. It's a mel editor made to replace the original Script Editor.
People wich are familiar with mel-scripting, know the limitation of Maya's ScriptEditor. It doesn't have Undo/Redo, Find/Replace Advance functionality... it's a simple edit box with the ability of execute mel commands. If you want the ScriptEditor has less capabilities than the Windows' Notepad...

The idea behind Blue-Mel Studio (BMS) was to create a new Editor for mel scripts, integrated into Maya (there are many good text editors, like UltraEdit, but they are not fully integrated in Maya).
These are the most important features of BMS:

-infinite Undo/Redo
-Find and Replace functions
-number of current line (line that contains the caret) shown in the BMS status line;
-MEL command autocomplete (type the starting characters of a command, press Ctrl+Space and BMS will complete the command name)
-Quick link to mel command documentation (select a mel command in the script body, press F1 and a window pops up showing the documentation of that command)

I'm working on colored sintax highlight, and a debugging tool..

What do you think about these features? I'm working to implement a better plug'in...

Max

ktpr
05-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Suggestions:

Give column numbers. when the output goes line 2.14 I want to easilly find where .14 is.

variable font sizes for code fragements: "`" should be bigger than normal cause its so small, so should ";" I think you're already working on color coding

Another thing is to have the option to append a " ; " at the end of every line so we don't have to type it. It might be nice to have the line numbers in the coding canvas but it the implementation cost would outweigh the benefit.

it's a great plugin though! :scream:

cheers
ktpr

olivier georges
05-29-2003, 02:03 PM
hi,

oh yes please, implement a debugger, pppllleeeaasee !!! ;)

olivier

Buexe
05-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi MaxL, thanx for considering the recent file list. :bounce:
I just realized that when you use "save as" and give your file a name that already exists it doesn`t prompt you if you want to overwrite the existing file. Maybe for security it might be worthwhile to implement something like a short prompt dialog before overwriting the old file.
Anyway great tool!
cheers
buexe

wrend
05-30-2003, 01:41 PM
a big, fat, encouraging, nice-work post of support to you!

olivier georges
05-31-2003, 11:29 PM
hi,
each time i press the F1 key, a new internet explorer window is created, perhaps it'd be better to keep the same window to display the help for the current command, or an option in the prefs of blue mel studio to choose to create or not a new window each time.

olivier.

and please yes, a debugger ;)

MaxL
06-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Hi All!
I'll take care of each advice.
Tanks to everybody.
I'm sitill working on sintax highlight and as soon as I can, I'll put on line a new upgrade of BMS.

Tomorrow will be a special day for me: tomorrow is my wedding day!!

Max

olivier georges
06-01-2003, 08:25 PM
oh cool !!!! and what is her name ? ;)

Olivier.

Luis Cypher
06-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Congrats on your wedding , and thanks for writting blue mel studio , a couple of notes though.

Maybe I missed it but there isnt an option to clear the history panel and there may be a slight bug with the copy/ paste functions.

I tried copying and pasting from an external text editor , but it would only paste the text that I had copied in a previous session of maya, not what I had just copied.

Excellent work so far though ...waiting for a new updated release :)
TIP:
As an afterthought I just remembered for anyone interested if you press
ctrl+shift and the letter L twice you will get line numbering :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.