PDA

View Full Version : IK problem with a Mech

Ace Azzameen
04-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Ive been trying and trying, but It won't work the way I want it to =(

Ive been trying to make this mech ive created to get bones with IK and stuff. So I could animate it for a game im helping out with..
The problem accured when I tried to make the "foot" bone for the mechs left foot.

http://w1.871.telia.com/~u87126555/screen2.jpg

I want the foot to always be paralell with the ground, and later on the toes to akt as normal toes, end heels. (Toes last from ground when stepping off ground, and Heels first when stepping onto ground)

Could anyone help me with this. Im pretty new to all this bone stuff, so be gentle ;)

Thank you a bunch!

Ace Azzameen
04-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Anyone?

jimcoldt
04-23-2003, 03:58 PM
I'll be the first to answer this one...

Here's my (and probably others') reluctance to answer: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you're using a version of Max below v.4... It's not that it's a big deal, it's just that it will make it A LOT more difficult to set up. In max 4 and above, many enhancements have been added that aid in doing exactly what you need.--also included in the tutorials.

Honestly, it's been so long since I've used max 3.1/2/etc. that I don't really remember the best way to achieve the look you want for the mech's feet...

I apologize for this "non answer"...

I would definitely consider looking into max 4 or 5 to save you some headaches.

-jim

Hugh
04-23-2003, 06:59 PM
I'm not a Max user, but I've recently been rigging and animating a mech similar to this in Maya...

The way I did the foot was to have the IK handle with a PointConstraint to a locator.

I then had another IK between the foot bone and the toe bone. This IK handle was point constrained to another locator (in front of the foot), and I also put a pole vector constrain on this IK to another locator above the foot.

The locators above and in front of the foot were then parented to the main foot one - so I could easily move and rotate just this locator to move and rotate the foot....

I don't know how much of this is possible to do in the version of Max that you are using, but if I've been clear (hope so, do say if I haven't), then you should be able to translate it across...

Ace Azzameen
04-26-2003, 12:10 AM
I am using 3dstudio max 5.1 .. sorry, should have wrote that..

andy_maxman
05-10-2003, 08:09 AM
use comets char_rigger script...thats a life saver for rigging...
get it at

comet-cartoons.com

JeT
05-12-2003, 01:26 AM
hey there. what i would usually do is have an ik from the top of the thigh to the bottom of the shin.. like have a 2 bone set up for the 2 leg bones (3 bones with a bone on the end) and then have a dummy on the ground that the ik control is linked to. then just have the foot attached to the dummy as well.
that way the foot rotation is controlled by you, so it is always parrallel to the ground. you just move the foot by throwing the dummy around, and the rest of the leg will bend as well. you get me? hope all works :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.