PDA

View Full Version : The Plague Doctor

rheece
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey guys, just completed a game character for my new portfolio that I'am busy working on. As you can see he's a rather sinister looking plague doctor based on the ones from the London plague.

He is modeled using 3ds max and zbrush, and then textured in photoshop. I then took him into the Unreal engine that comes with Unreal Tournament 3.

His body and items are 7714 tris with a 2048x2048 map for diffuse, specular and normal.

His wooden stick is 164 tris with a 1024x256 map for diffuse, specular and normal.

I hope you like him and would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/rheece/plague_doc_low.jpg

Below is the high poly version done in zbrush:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/rheece/plague_doc_high.jpg

iLegacy
12-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice work! But like all what i saw in the UT3 engine (just a personal meaning!) it looks a bit grainy. I like the cloth and equipment, but the head and around could be more defined i think. Capone did a great job with this (he also modelled a plaque) - just check his blog:
http://caponeart.blogspot.com/

and scroll a bit around, you will see some cool wip plaque stuff!

Shade01
12-23-2007, 04:51 AM
The high res model is nice (wrinkles are a little overdone imo), but the texture just looks messy to me. Look at your render and then squint at it- other than the white of the mask it all just kind of blends together and creates a muddy form. The texture on the stick looks very low res despite the map size.

rheece
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey guys thanks for your opinions on it.

iLegacy - I have seen that design before by capone. I like the concept of a futuristic plague doc. He did a good job. My theme was to go for a bit more of a modern aproach that gives the idea of grit, grime and death. I do know what you are talking about with the Unreal 3 engine. It's a bit of a beast to work with actually.

Shade01 - Glad you like the high res. Wrinkles are just fun to do. I find the unreal engine did blend the textures a bit and give a more low res feel. It was a style I was going for when you talk about it looking messy etc. Imo the texture flats are more defined and will post it up after xmas as right now I'm not at my original pc.

kromano
12-23-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm glad you kept working on him after the UGAC because your results are really paying off. The details do kind of blend together with the white mask, dirty white robe and pale white skin, it took me a bit to recognize that his entire face isn't covered by a mask. Still, looking really cool. For some reason I want to see him in Team Fortress 2...

rheece
12-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey kromano. I think your confusing me with Capone. This is a different interpretation of the plague doctor which I chose to do. I took a modern approach that focuses on a disgusting and grimey death feeling. His whole face is meant to be covered by a boney white mask, so you were correct in thinking that :)

Anyway, pleased you like him and I'm not sure TF2 being the right environment lol.

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2007, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.