PDA

View Full Version : Reverse engineer joint binding?

PixelDroid
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Is there a way to determine which joints a mesh is bound to and the type of binding?
Thanx.

twedzel
12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
select the mesh and use this little mel.

string $joints[] = `skinCluster -q -inf`;
print $joints;

basically it means run the skinCluster mel command in query mode (-q) and then to query skin influences (-inf).

As to wether it is rigid or smooth bound, that should be fairly self evident. I havn't used rigid bind in so long that I wouldn't really know what to look for anymore. But if you go into the mel command help files you may find something about it under the skinCluster command.

PixelDroid
12-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks a lot.
Works on smooth bound meshes but not on rigid bound meshes. The nodes on rigid bound meshes are labelled "jointCluster". However, the jointCluster mel command doesn't support the -inf flag.
string $joints[] = `jointCluster -q -inf`;
print $joints;
// Error: Invalid flag: -inf //

twedzel
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
To be honest with you I can't help you much with rigid bind stuff. I havn't used them since my first term in school, and that was roughly 8 years ago. jointClusters are obviously assocociated to indiviual joints as well as the shape node they influence so a connection path exists, but I don't have the time or patience to figure it out. I would say, grab the mesh in question and go into the hypergraph and click on the input connections and see whats connected to where.

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.