PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk Samurai Zatoichi- NEED HELP!

NME-Se7eN
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Edited: Just changed the headline.

Headline will be edited as soon as the help I desire is acquired. Those who know me know I attempted this character a while ago, got busy with some freelance stuff, and now I'm trying to get back at it. However, I'm a Zbrush veteran of two days and watched the "Introduction to Zbrush 3" DVD by Meats from Gnomon. Regardless, I'm having issues in a couple areas, maybe someone could help me.

The first question is basically how should I bring the character into Zbrush from Maya? I'm currently subtooling all the parts together from OBJs. To give an idea, here is a color chart of my various parts.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/colored.jpg

Now, within Zbrush I have two distinct problems. The first is here...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/footdisease.jpg
What is causing the foot to do this when I subdivide? I checked the geometry and anything should be cool.

Second is this, despite using the crease tool, like the DVD said, my edges are not staying connected as I subdivide.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/shopatdagap.jpg

Basically I'm looking for a comprehensive workflow guide from some of the character artists on this site. I want to learn Zbrush but issues like this keep cropping up.

NME-Se7eN
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
To give reference, THIS is the original sketch/design pick.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/blindswordsman-1.jpg

Gaboon
12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
The first problem- I've seen this before but can't remember what it was. Delete the history on the low poly before you export? non welded verts?

For the second problem- I never have smooth on when I subdivide. It just makes it easier to control the edges. I then just smooth it by hand. I import each piece and work on it separately. I might sub tool everything together in ZB just to look at the whole thing. I export the high poly pieces back out separately and generate each normal map by itself and then put the maps together in photoshop. If your lowest subdivision stays the same, then it won't matter in the normal map-you won't have any seams in the lowpoly model.

Hope that helps.

SpiralFace
12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
For the first problem, this is just what happens when z-brush gets an error. This can stem from MANY things and its really odd when it happens.

Here is a list of the things I've found that can cause these points to act like that.

Working with an "Open Mesh" model
History on base model was not deleted before export
Some base model face normals are inversed.
When you have an edge with 3 faces comming out of it.
An Error within z-brush from the Subdivision level.

Of corse, many of the times I've run into these problems where back in Zbrush 2. I have not run into that issue in Zbrush 3 yet, but you might want to go down that list anyways, and see if it helps. But if you want to fix it temporarily in Z-brush, you should just have to go down a subdivision level till its gone, and then just delete the higher Subdivision levels. That or start from an older model where you have not run into this problem.

For the second problem...

As its been said, if creasing the model doesn't work, I would first increase the strength of the creasing to its maximum ammount. And if that doesn't work, turn off smoothing. Although you can trun off smoothing entirely, I personally like to subdivide the first two levels without smoothing, and then have the smoothing function turned on for all further subdivisions. Thats just me though.

NME-Se7eN
12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Thank you both for the replies.

Gaboon, my concern from that tactic comes specifically from sculting close to edges. and more importantly, if I make height changes close to the original. Gah, I suck at trying to explain this. Let's put it this way... what would the non-curved surfaces look like if the areas I zbrushed don't cover the entire area?

Shadow-Slayer, I killed the history on the feet before throwing em in. I can't help but wonder is my modeling technique is to blame since instead of quading across, the feet were formed by bridging a couple half cylinders. While the triangle convergence point is no longer on top, it is on the bottom and that appears to be the effects vertices.

I'll give both a shot and try to do the head, see what works, what doesn't.

SpiralFace
12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Bridging the verts should not be a problem, but one of the things I find ANNOYING about max is that somtimes I do tend to accidentaly duplicate edges and faces when I'm not meant to. Creating double faces and double verts in the same space. Which can lead to problems both in Max and in Z-brush if left unchecked. So I would also double check to make sure you don't have any double faces or vertexes anywhere. I don't think its nessesarily your modeling technique, but whenever I ran into these problems, I usually find that it stems from some oversight, or some lack of clean up I forgot to do before exporting it into Z-brush. (This is why it pays to be maticulous BEFORE exporting it into Z-brush.)

NME-Se7eN
12-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Having a couple issues right now. Essentially breaks in the mesh which I cannot find in Maya. Anyway, I promised something when I got further along...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/face-1.jpg
First shot at the Zbrushing. I may try again, when I have a tablet. Also wondering if there is a way to create a perfectly flat ridge. Like, the hair itself is a synthetic rubber material and I'd like to have mechanical breaks like you see above but I want no detail in those ridges.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2007, 10:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.