PDA

View Full Version : Chosen Cultist, Christopher Lowrey (3D)

SpiralFace
12-20-2007, 05:39 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/33390/33390_1198132757_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/33390/33390_1198132757_large.jpg)

Title: Chosen Cultist
Name: Christopher Lowrey
Software: Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush

A headless Cadaver animated by an unworldly horror and servant of the old ones from the now canceled "Project Octopus" Half Life 2 Modification project.

5085 triangles
Maps consist of Diffuse, Normal, Specular, and Transparency maps.

DanHibiki
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
very nice design and imaginative.

Do you have a link to the project BTW?

SpiralFace
12-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Sadly, the project was a Senior Colabrative project over at the Academy of Art University. The project never got a websight, as we hit a brick wall when it came to linking up our character Animations to the complex AI that the Half life Engine provides. Not to mention that this project started around the time that Half life 2 was released. So we where working with next to no production notes and a very limited web comunity when trying to figure out how to do everything.

Because of this the project was canceled, with the possibility of us saving the assets and attempting to recreate this within the new Unreal Engine, once the engine was available to mod in the public. I don't know what the school plans to do with it now, as its been over for more then a half a year now. I'm just late to the party for getting some web stuff from the project up.

In my CG portfolio I've got images of the Bug that goes on this guys head on its own, as well as one of the basic enemy cultists that you where to encounter. If your interested in seeing some of the other things.

Kymer
12-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Very .. arty. The composition of the head reminds of Picasso's work, I like it.

Neox3d
12-21-2007, 04:45 AM
very nice for lowpoly

Awdriel
06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Chris,

I would agree that your model is 'arty' :-), colors are very nice too. I like what you did with the skirt (for lack of a better manly term for the clothes). The erosion on the material looks quite realistic for low poly.

I had a question regarding Unreal Engine as well, do you know if you can download a PLE anywhere? At the AAU, which class did you take that dealt with the gaming engines?

Kind Regards,

Fran

SpiralFace
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi Fran,

So I've actually graduated from the AAU, and have been working in the industry for the past year, so I'm not sure if they have a class anymore that deals with game engines.

The class I learned unreal 2 in was called "level Prototyping." And was taught by a Blizzard North Alumini named Alex Munn. After that class, the games director and him put forward that we should do a game mod based on the HP lovecraft stories, and so we started a "senior collabrative" special topics class to simulate a production enviornment for school credit. We dove into the Source engine with the project that this guy is from because at that Time Unreal 3 was only being previewed, and although it came out after we started, it was still only available to developers at the time.

If you or ANYONE else from the AAU is interested in getting another game engine class going, then I sujest that you talk to Either Chris Armstrong or Rob Steele to at least point you in the right direction since I know the school is looking for a new director for the games program. Since I knowTod Robinson has taken a position over at the Art Institute of San Francisco, so if anyone from the AI SF wants to learn game engine tech should go to him to see what he can do about it over there. (Tell him you saw some of the stuff from Project Octopus.)

Additionally, if your going for Unreal 3 education, then I can't stress enough that the single greatest resorce I've found are the training DVD that you can find in the limited edition version of the game (http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Tournament-III-Collectors-Edition/dp/B000O5DQ9S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1214584014&sr=8-2). Along with the countless numbers of Unreal Mod forums. Even if you can't get a class together for the engine, try to form a club and the school will give you funds to get copys of the limited ed to have everyone use.

Good luck

Awdriel
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for the info. I had an Environments class with Rob Steele last semester so I will talk to him about the Unreal 3 Engine so he can get me pointed in the right direction.

So glad to hear you're working in the industry! And I will check out the training DVD!

Kindest Regards,

Fran

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.