PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a rose.

Argo54325
12-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Hello, i was wondering if anyone know where to find a tutorial on making a realistic rose, or if anyone knows how to go about making it. I'm useing 3DS Max 9, and plan on animating the rose to "bloom" from a tight rolled up position into a fluffy flower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

archlancer
12-29-2007, 07:17 AM
take a top view of a rose. import it into the 3ds max top view port. trace it with lines. then extrude the lines and give FFD modifiers. and with control vertices of that modifier curve the edges like rose. There are lots of ways. u have to choose what u can with your skills.

ParasiteArtist
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Good idea, I didn't think of drawing with lines first then extruding.

devlish
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
try to find some "time Lapse" shots of a real rose blooming if you have not already done so. as for modeling the rose (a very complex flower actually), your best bet is to think simple and use planes to model a very crude boxy rose and use modifiers to make it "look like a rose"

I started a rose some time ago and liked the way it was progressing, but never finished it. I will try to remember to look for the file when i get home to post a screenie and more information for you.

I have never even contemplated animating the bloom as the flower is already complex enough for me :)

ParasiteArtist
01-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Screens would def be helpful; for me at least!

devlish
01-11-2008, 11:16 PM
ok .. here is the screenie :)

Note that i started with a simple plane. also the note the order of that the modifiers were applied. basically i did (3) petals liked the look, the decided i need a faster way to make the rest of the petals and arrange them and never got back to it.

there are many types of roses (ie. more complex than your standard long stem variety), but that point in the middle of the leaf seams common to most of them. hopefully this gives you an idea and will help you find your own way. good luck.

newellteapot
01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi!
I had to do exactly the same thing for a commercial (even though that particular flower was in the end not included for directing reasons:)).
This is how I did it. It's not extra precise but it worked for me.

Model the core (the bud, an elongeted sphere we'll do.) Then start building the first petal.
First draw its outline with a curve so that it follows the surface of the bud precisely.
That is:
draw the longitude of the curve in an ortographic view, duplicate it, move it and place it at another spot of circumference of the bud in the top view. Do it again. Now you have three curves that describe one side of teh bud longitudinally.
Loft the curves and transform the result into a poly. Refine the sculpting.
Now go to the other side and do the same.
Now you'll have a bud with two petals on either side. make them so that they overlap (embrace) each other a little bit.
If you don't need to be super accurate just duplicate them and arrange them around the flower. If you need to be accurate, repeat the process and everything will match.
Remember to place the pivot at the to bottom for the rotation when it will have to bllom!
it really should take a short time.
If I have been unclear or you have doubts please drop me a line. I'll try to include pics to this post.
good luck
Monica
ps this is the commercial, but the rose doesn't "star" in it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t56uDx5FhU

ParasiteArtist
01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
ok .. here is the screenie :)

Note that i started with a simple plane. also the note the order of that the modifiers were applied. basically i did (3) petals liked the look, the decided i need a faster way to make the rest of the petals and arrange them and never got back to it.

there are many types of roses (ie. more complex than your standard long stem variety), but that point in the middle of the leaf seams common to most of them. hopefully this gives you an idea and will help you find your own way. good luck.

Ah, thank you; very helpful!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.