PDA

View Full Version : John Marshal

JasonH
12-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Put off learning Zbrush for far too long. Now that i'm not working 70 hour weeks anymore, figured I'd give it a bit of a workout. As a newcomer to the tool, any advice would be fantastic, be it workflow or tool specific, or just telling me I forgot some crucial piece of anatomy. Went ahead and built the low poly base mesh in 3dmax, then exported out various chunks into Zbrush. I've made a few throwaway faces in Zbrush before ("So what does THIS tool do? Hey thats pretty neat, ok....no i don't want to save....") so this is my first actual project where I'm hoping to keep the final result and put it onto the low poly mesh (though so far I see it's going to be VERY necessary to adjust the base, or just remodel pieces altogether).

Marshal here is supposed to be a science fiction western law enforcer, sort of like Halo meets Serenity, meets UnrealTournament3's "Grungification". Setting to add some detail to the face to add some history to the character (he's on a planet thats mostly desert, or maybe it's earth in some future century where the climate has shifted to be more arid and hot, so i'm going to add some chaps and cracks to his skin where the sun gets to him), and work on the pants. Right now, the pants are attracting most of my frustration. Can't quite get the cuffs to look like anything other than a piece of taffy coiled around his ankles. Once i get the cuffs looking a bit better, i'll add the details like pockets and seams. Been putting this guy together last couple of days between the hours of 5 and 6am. At the moment his base low poly mesh is about 6k, but theres a lot of stuff under his vest, and lots of things that have additional geometry for Zbrush. Not really sure when i'll be done, right now i'm just having fun with a new tool. Let me know what you think.

JasonH
12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
He's got his eyes on you.

CG-Gordon
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey JasonH, your zbrush work is looking pretty good. The neck looks a little wide and the tricep area looks a bit off, I guess your still chipping away at it though.

My workflow for zbrush has essentially evovled into a very low poly quaded naked mesh built in max, exported to zbrush where I sculpt muscle and form, then build clothes and props using extract and subtools. The high poly sculpted parts are then exported back to max (and sometimes polycrunched depending on how high the polycount is) and I use polyboost to build a new low poly mesh while snapping to the surface of the high mesh. If I have have non-organic parts (armour, plastic, metal etc) these are built in max and then imported to zbrush and appended as a new subtool. This way you get a good impression of your model in zbrush before having to worry about topology, UVs, textures. You can make quick decisions on proportions and change them, and your lead or boss can also see progress quickly. :) If you want specifics I can point you towards a good video tutorial and also fill in the blanks if you have questions. Hope this helps.

Gordon.

PinkParasol
12-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey Jason,

This is looking so awesome. I can't believe how fast you picked up zbrush. Keep up the good work. :bounce:

JasonH
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Had to put the project aside for a few weeks with travel for the holidays, followed immediately by a bout with the flu. Back on the project in bits and pieces as of late. Been tackling the vest recently, an agonizingly tedious task, modeling each piece, trying to make sure they all mesh together when subdivided. Maybe i'm overthinking the process or something, but each little piece so far has been a chore. Think i'll look into getting a copy of polyboost if that would help with this step. Either way, got it mostly finished, little spots are sort of jumping out at me that i don't care much for, but aside from some weird jumping verts that i get on the back of some of the bolts on the armor (some, but oddly enough, not all, though they're all copies of the same bolt), it's gradually (albeit frustratingly) coming together.

HillbillyKing
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
very nice lines, both in the armor and in in the face. How are your UV's holding up?
Are you giving this guy hair?

mindrot
01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Looking good so far.

The legs look a little stiff though and could possibly use a bit of variation in the shape to add to the sihlouette- perhaps accentuate some of the creases?

Keep going :)

~M~

JasonH
01-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Looking good so far.

The legs look a little stiff though and could possibly use a bit of variation in the shape to add to the sihlouette- perhaps accentuate some of the creases?

~M~

I definitely concur. The pants have been a source of frustration. I don't know, probably just chalk it up to lack of experience with Zbrush, but been doing a lot of one step forward/two steps back with it. No technical issues or anything, just haven't been able to get it where i like it yet. Been focusing on the vest the last few days, but once thats done, yeah, i'll have to face the music and work on his pants again.

HillbillyKing:
Probably not going to give him much hair. Kinda planning right now to give him that sort of all over stubble. Not sure if I should sculpt his eyebrows right onto the mesh, make them a z-tool, or use planes. Eh, probably sculpt them right in so as to avoid creases or anything on the bumpmap where the two meshes meet.

sk3d
01-18-2008, 05:43 AM
One question; did you model the detailing on the vest in zbrush? I have no problem sculpting organic stuff, but when it comes to highpoly hardsurface stuff I get a bit stuck.

Or do you just use your native 3d program to make this hard detail?

If you use Zbrush for the hard surface detailing, do you know of any tutorials or explanations?

tnx, looking good btw

JasonH
01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
One question; did you model the detailing on the vest in zbrush? I have no problem sculpting organic stuff, but when it comes to highpoly hardsurface stuff I get a bit stuck.

Or do you just use your native 3d program to make this hard detail?

If you use Zbrush for the hard surface detailing, do you know of any tutorials or explanations?

tnx, looking good btw

Got a bunch of different sub-tools in zbrush for the arms, glove, pants ect...

I'm sculpting the vest in Max piece by piece, making sure they look good with 1 or 2 steps of meshsmooth on them, then importing them into Z (this time with poor results, like the backs of the bolts for some reason). Once i've got the pieces imported in, with their hard edges already made in MAX, might add a minor detail pass with Z, sculpt in some sodering around edges, gouges in the metal, scratches and dents and the like. But yeah, not had any luck sculpting a clean hard edge in zbrush, find it's easier to build it in max, smooth it, then add any minor tweaks in zbrush.

FreakyDude
01-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Your work looks cool, I am wondering, what kind of job did you have that you spend 70 hours a week for?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2008, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.