PDA

View Full Version : Global Illumination

LowEndFrequency
04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know of any good tutorials on Global Illumination with mental ray?

The best results I can get is by faking it and it leaves much room for improvement. Any help is appreciated.

Array
04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
hmmm....well the best way to learn a complex renderer (at least for me) is to learn the underlying methods. In the case of mentalray, photon mapping and gathering. try to read some technical papers about these, and see if anything clicks.

ACIDman_BC
04-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Here u go:
http://www.3dluvr.com/intercepto/maya/tutorials/mray_thegathering/introduction.htm

LowEndFrequency
04-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Array: What do you meanby technical papers? As in product manuals or tutorials or something else perhaps?

ACIDman_BC: This is a nice tutorial, definatly helpful.

I have a question tho, what about nurbs? Every document I can find on GI is on polys, but my object is nurbs, and when I try to apply my GI settings in mentalray I get an error.

Also does anyone know any good tutorials on HDRI ? I meant to post that in the original question but forgot. So yeah HDRI, any ideas?

THanks everyone for the help so far.

X-Tender
04-22-2003, 01:28 PM
1. HDRI: ACIDman_BC posted you an link .. there is also a tut about HDRI .

2. What kind of NURBS error did you get? .. AFAIK has MR no problems with NURBS .. only Subdivisions dont work in the current version.

LowEndFrequency
04-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Ahhh sweet... I see that HDRI part of the tutorial. Exactly what I needed.

As for the error I am not exactly sure, I will try and get it again after I finish rendering this animation sometime tonight, and I will post the exact error. Thanks all.

Ken Koala
04-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Try lowering the tessellation settings

Global tessellation settings can be found in the metal ray globals.
Individual tessellation settings can be found at;
Window>rendering editors>mental ray>approximation editor

Use whatever suits

Hope that fixes your probs

Ken
:beer:

LowEndFrequency
04-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes I think it is a problem with the tessalations...

I've heard that Maya 5 with mental ray integrated solves the global illumination errors with tessalation and subdivisions... Does anyone know the validity of this statement ?

If it does, I think I will just wait to get my copy of Maya 5.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.