PDA

View Full Version : Rigged Walk Cycle

animatics
12-18-2007, 03:57 AM
http://www.swfup.com/file/85665

Hello, i'm looking for feedback on this walk cycle done on LW. Its the first time i do a walk on a rigged character, mainly because my other rigs were never good.
There are no morph maps, cause this is just a test character, so bone strange distortions will be normal. I just want to know what could i do to get better on rig aniamtion.
Ty...

mistasam02
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey cool.. so.. first of all you should stay away from IK hands at all costs. Those are ONLY good for grabbing or planting on things. The feet come up a little too high for a "normal" walk, unless you were going for a marching style. Add more side to side in the root/waist, and try offsetting the keys 2 frames to the right so that the body continues to go down just a little while the leg is straightening. Good start, keep it up!

animatics
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
So what should i do to animate the arms...?
Any good tutorial?
Thanks... for the post

mistasam02
12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Yikes.. I haven't touched Lightwave, so I'm not sure about that. Usually when rigging a character, you don't start with IK limbs. If this isn't your rig, there should be a switch to FK somewhere. There's gotta be! That or just delete the IK handle and animate the bones :D

Kid-Mesh
12-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Heya animatics,

It's always nice to meet another LW user :twisted:

Anyway I took a look at your walk cycle....there is a lot going here.

In regards to your animation. How about I ask you these questions instead...

1. Who is this?
2. What is he thinking about?
3. Where is he headed?
4. Where has he been?
5. Why?

If you can answer those questions that give an insight to the emotional state of the character then it should be reflected in the walk. Emotion is the key in displaying how much weight is actually applied to the walk based on how he/she is feeling.

If your character was pissed, the walk would be forceful and exhibit more weight. If the character was sad or emotionally down it would still exhibit more weight but move sluggishly.

What if he were happy? then the character would seem lighter and his arms and legs would display this as they would move about care free as he/she walked.

Point being...before you even begin to cycle the walk you need to know whats going on with the character. Once you got that down then it's all about nailing your key poses to show that emotion.

I highly suggest the Animators Surviors Kit if you dont have it.

Keep learning the craft...it's hard work but there is nothing else better. The first start is actually starting. Again...good luck and keep posting :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2007, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.