PDA

View Full Version : CS3 Render Error

3DBradley
12-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Helloo All,

So I am getting an error while trying to make a movie. I am wanting to make an .avi with audio. The Error I am getting is:

After Effetcs warning: logged one error - "error: render can't continue - out of disk space on all overflow volumes. (26 : 165)"

Now I know this really has nothing to do with actual disk(hard drive) space cause there is hundreds of gigs left. Anyways I ave tried changing my output settings & the memory & cache in the preferences. Also I really dont know of any good settings for these. One other thing I have tried is using the secret tab in the preferences by holding shift and clicking previous to reveal the secret tab. I set the disable layer cache to every frame & tried every second frame but still getting the error.

If anyone could please help me out that would be great. I am in a dier need of a fix for this. Also if there is anyway to open cs3 files in 7.0 I have that as well and heard the error is not as common in 7.0

thanks, and hope to hear from someone soon

Cheers

Adam

erilaz
12-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Can I ask what the length/size/format of your movie is and where you are writing it to?

Mylenium
12-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Now I know this really has nothing to do with actual disk(hard drive) space cause there is hundreds of gigs left.

If you get the error, something's up. Simply saying "I have plenty of disk space left" is pointless. If AE doesn't see it, you haven't properly configured your overflow volumes or they exceed the operating system's limits for directory recursion, files per directory or file sizes. Also consider the state of your disks -they may be massively fragmeneted and thus useless for sequential outputs. You may also experience loss of connection to your external drive due to poor network setup and/or bad Firewire/USB/eSATA/SCSI wiring or dirvers.

Also if there is anyway to open cs3 files in 7.0 I have that as well and heard the error is not as common in 7.0

Then you heard wrong. As stated above, your problems are 99% likely absolutely unrelated to AE but more a problem in your setup. and no, you can't open your files in older version. Never was possible, most likely never will be.

Mylenium

beenyweenies
12-19-2007, 01:00 AM
It COULD be that your destination hard drive is formatted as FAT32, which has a size-per-file limit of 4GB, and that you have not actually turned on the overflow volumes feature.

erilaz
12-19-2007, 05:15 AM
It COULD be that your destination hard drive is formatted as FAT32, which has a size-per-file limit of 4GB, and that you have not actually turned on the overflow volumes feature.

That was going to be my follow up question. :) A 4GB limit is the most annoying "feature" of FAT32! I was pulling my hair out on my backups until I reformatted my drives to NTFS.

3DBradley
12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey Thanks Everyone, so I finally got it to render out. I played with the settings in the overflow, etc. Also to ask you Q's. my drive is set to NTFS so no issues there. I'm still not exaclty sure why this error happens. I see alot of ppl getting it, but never a straight answer. It seemed to work this time but then the next project wont render witht the saqme settings, sooo I dunno...

I was rendering out a uncompressed avi which ended up being about 6gb. its roughly 2 min long.

But anyways thanks for everything. I would really like to see this thread stay open and see if we can come to a conclusion why this happens.

thanks again,

:boo

Mylenium
12-21-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm still not exaclty sure why this error happens. I see alot of ppl getting it, but never a straight answer.

There can be no straight answer as there is too much potential shit going on. As pointed out already, the error is system specific and if you and your friends are getting it a lot, then your systems certainly require some attention for optimising them. In my now 7 years of using AE I've only had this problem once or twice and could always nail it down to the CoDec/ Adobe Media Encoder.

I was rendering out a uncompressed avi

Could be one of the reasons. AVIs store their data in solid chunks as opposed to frame-by-frame and therefore need to recalculate the offsets constantly to actually reserve the space on the disk. This procedure is not particularly safe due to the high data rates of uncompressed stuff.

Mylenium

3DBradley
12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Sooo what are some good render settings/codecs to use so I dont loose picture/sound quality?

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.