PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card importance

Evol
04-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Does a great graphic card have much to say for the performance of a program like 3ds/lightwave?

DrAdamDinosaur
04-14-2002, 12:35 PM
The only answer is a big YES! I was using an i740 (really old substandard card) for my 3d stuff and getting very average performance. I upgraded my videocard, only my video card and now things fly. Don't get me wrong, everything else is important but a good, fast graphics card is one of the most important things in the 3d/graphics industry.

Evol
04-14-2002, 04:31 PM
I've got a ATi Radeon 7200. Is this a good card for this purpose? The CPU is a 1.4GHz t-bird and I've got 256MB of DDRam. Will more memory be of any use?

DrAdamDinosaur
04-15-2002, 09:13 AM
Hey, I'm actually running an ATI radeon 8500 an teh performance is great. II haven't had any experience with your card but it sholuld be fine, just make sure you have the latest drivers. You will know if you stuf is good enough by how the program performs. 256mb is cool (and its ddr ram so thats better) but ram is real important. It's probably enough for getting started but if you get more serious later on down hte track you should probalby get a little more. 3D apps use up a lot of memory.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.