PDA

View Full Version : depth of field help

hopper2k
04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Hi, I was wondering how to go about using the depth of field option for a camera. I see the settings but I am just playing around with them and not getting the results I want. I have a hand in the foreground, with a figure standing in the background. I want the hand to be clear, with the figure in the background to be blurry. Does anyone know what settings I should set the depth of field to achieve this? Thanks.

Kabab
04-21-2003, 03:07 PM
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Learn/how_tos/rendering/rendering_m.html

the last one is a great tut for DOF.

hopper2k
04-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks, but in my connection editor, there was no center of interest or focus distance to choose from in the connection editor for my camera. Weird.

vaniljus
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Download the DOF Control v1.0 from this page : http://www.lightstorm3d.com/tools/freetools/html/dofControl.html

It will create a polycube as a manipulator for a camera, it works great.

nemirc
04-21-2003, 06:29 PM
you can also control the DOF with a locator.

Create a "camera and aim" and then a "measure length tool". Position the first locator on the "aim" and parent it, then the second one on the camera and parent it.

Using the connection editor connect the "distance" from the measureDistanceShape node to the "distance focus" from the cameraShape node.

By doing this, you control the distance focus by placing the aim constraint. The "focused" part will be the one where the aim is located, and the rest of the image will be out of focus. Then by changing the f-stop attrib you control the "defocusing" of the image.

Just my two cents :applause:

jadamburke
04-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Hopper2k, the reason your connection editor didn't have those attributes is because you selected the camera tranform node and not the CameraShape node. The CameraShape node is what has the center of interest and focus distance attributes. In the attribute editor for the camera select the cameraShape tab at the top and then click the Select button at the bottom. Now load it into the connection editor. You should see your attributes.

hopper2k
04-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys.

FClub_TDurden
04-23-2003, 03:33 AM
You could always do DOF in post....render out greyscale rgb....map a black-white ramp as projection from near to far....and use that as image blur or image DOF inpost...that way you have full control without rerendering....

zpass works just as well

nemirc
04-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by FClub_TDurden
You could always do DOF in post....render out greyscale rgb....map a black-white ramp as projection from near to far....and use that as image blur or image DOF inpost...that way you have full control without rerendering....

zpass works just as well

Z Depth Channel works very good with Shake.
I've used it a couple of times
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.