PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray unsupported features?

IMarshal
04-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Can someone tell me some of the major features not supported in Mental Ray but or supported with Maya's internal rendering engine?

Such as particle effects, volumetric rendering, etc?

Oh, what about (I cant remember this term) micro-triangulated displacement surfaces? Entropa (sp?), a renderman alternative supported it, and I believe both FinalRender and Brazil do (or will) as well.

Thanks

jeremybirn
04-21-2003, 01:47 PM
With Maya 4.5 and the Mental Ray for Maya Connection version 1.5, a number of things like Paint Effects, Fur, and Particles were not supported (although some of those were easy to render separately and composite in.) In Maya 5, as far as I know all of those things are supported.

There are a lot more volume shaders available for Mental Ray than for the Maya renderer. Mental Ray supports Fine Displacement, with memory-efficient micropolygon resolution, and the Maya renderer doesn't.

Entropy, the planned renderer which was going to be from Ex Luna, is no longer on the market and will not be sold. (Long Story...) Brazil looks like a terrific renderer for Max, and I hope it becomes available for Maya soon, I think a lot of Maya users would be interested in that alternative.

-jeremy

Ozren
04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Brazil for Maya would be cool, but i think Brazil and Mray are same thing, both photo realistic renderers, both have great features (especialy Mray 3.2 that will come with Maya 5).

No metter in which one you are rendering, if you know your renderer well, you will make great pictures.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.