PDA

View Full Version : So i forgot to add its tail :(

Kabab
04-21-2003, 03:23 AM
I've made a character made all the bones painted all the weights but then i realised i forgot to make his tail :cry:

So anyway i've made his tail add the bones and parented them.

Is there anyway i can add these bones to my smooth skin bind without distrubing the existing weight maps ???

please help :cry:

mental
04-21-2003, 03:38 AM
just look at the post below: "Problems withs smooth skinning" [sic]

adding an influence allows you to add geometry as well as joints to the smooth skin. maya may give you an error saying that "no geometry exists or was found" ignore that error and add the weights through the component editor.

hope that helps
-mental :surprised

Kabab
04-21-2003, 04:03 AM
I can't seem to get that to work for me :(

Do you think this would work ?

Export the skin weight maps
Detach the skin
Smooth bind it again with the new bones geometery
Import the skin maps
Paint whats remainin

I've tried this after i import the maps again and i select the joints my skin changes colour to show they are binded but it doesn't follow the bones :cry:

mental
04-21-2003, 04:24 AM
well, i'm wonder what you mean by saying that you can't get that method to work?

no matter, you can follow the export weights workflow but to automate things use these two mel scripts. i've used them when i find myself in a pinch:

select the skinned mesh and run the script to export.

sds_poly_smooth_weights_export v2.0 (http://highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=melscripts&file_loc=sds_poly_smooth_weights_export-v2.0-.mel&file_id=945)

and

sds_poly_smooth_weights_import v2.0 (http://highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=melscripts&file_loc=sds_poly_smooth_weights_import-v2.0-.mel&file_id=946)

and chill a bit, you make more mistakes when you're freaking out.

[edit] crap and i made the same mistake i did the other day (because i was freaking out ;)): if you're adding an influence object to a smooth skin you need to select the 'skincluster' node of that mesh (the skin) and turn on the 'use component' attribute. that was probably why the add influence trick wasn't working.

Kabab
04-21-2003, 04:55 AM
But will that work if i have added more geometry after the initail smooth bind ?

larryvm
04-21-2003, 09:00 AM
add geometry to the character when you have made a bind is not a goodthing , some of the nodes you made for the new geometry are in local object transform, so it will work bad in a skinning deform,

at this case i better made the export weigth map, and made a new bind, looking that the uv donīt change too much.

Kabab
04-21-2003, 09:08 AM
I've tried exporting the weights maps deleting the old bind and then binding it again and importing the wieght maps expect the bones don't drive the mesh anymore :(

larryvm
04-21-2003, 09:11 AM
look the name of the shape, i donīt remember well, but i think maya write a file with the name of the shape, the joints and the file maps, look if all the names are the same

Kabab
04-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Yeah i select the file and you can see it go through the model but afters its finished the bones won't move the mesh anymore even though the mesh changes colour when you select the bones.

I think i will just paint all the weights agian :shrug:

mental
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
kabab,

adding influence doesn't work for you. exporting and importing skin weights through maya doesn't work for you. and i assume that you're saying that the 2 scripts suggested above didn't work either.

from your post it sounds like you used maya's export/import skin weights function. if that doesn't work are you able to unbind and rebind the skeleton through the normal fashion (simply unbind and rebind) or does it give you errors as well?

to say that none of these methods work means that either you're not following the right steps or there's something very wrong with your setup (rig wise).

instead of saying 'nope doesn't work', try to elaborate on the problem. what errors are you receiving? is the script editor telling you anything?

[EDIT] also, maya doesn't like it if you have multiple joints/ influence objects with the same name (which is possible in a skeleton hierarchy). make sure each joint/influence object has a unique name or else maya will not export/import the weights properly.

Kabab
04-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Yeah i long gave up on thoes methods i just unbinded the model and binded it again and i am repainting the weights oh well.

Thanks for your help anyway..

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.