PDA

View Full Version : Mudbaox performance??

MRAY
12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
ok i got the demo and i'm having some performance problems -

i can only subdivide to about 100 - 200k polys before performance just drops,
i mean it almost becomes unusable.

Are their any ram settings or something i should know about??

In Zbrush i can push about 3-4 mill with minor performance loss.

My Computer is not the newest (gotta get a new one :).

system specs -
supermicro X5DA8 motherboard
dual xeon 3.06 gHz processors
3 gigs of ram - (3 gig switch enabled)
windows pro XP
ATI X800 XT 256

Any idea's??

Thanks!

Greg-Jackson
12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi MRAY

I find that I have the same problem.
The only solution is to hide parts of the model that you are not working on. Then switch between "parts".

Your computer is like lightning compared to mine (I use an Intel onboard GMA thing that is most DEFINITLY NOT made for 3D ^ ^). So I know where your coming from.

I am unaware of any settings that could help, but if anyone knows if would be lovely.

G'Luck in finding a solution, if you find one, post it here! :scream:

nintenjo
12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I have similar issues.. although my performance seems to be alot better.

I got a:

Core 2 Duo Centrino 2.2 Ghz
2 GB of RAM 667mhz
Nvidia 8700m 512mb
Windows Vista 32bit Home Prem..

My scenes are usable up to about 1.2million polys.. but after 2million i find my strokes become very laggy and delayed.. Although on Zbrush i can easily work on scenes up to 6million tri sub-devs..

So i think its fair to say the performance of Mud-Box is a long way off that of Z-Brush.. But fingers crossed it will improve.

Rod Seffen
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Zbrush is NOT a 3d app, it's just a 2d hack, which is why zbrush is the most convoluted application on the market, since they have to hack workarounds in for everything to mimick 3d.
So, stop comparing mudbox to zbrush like they're the same thing.
I can model 5 million poly meshes in mudbox with no slowdown on brush performance, and to stop navigation slowing down, you have to turn on draft rendering.
Of course, it's all nonsense anyway, since when you get up to the level of 5 million, it's all pointless detailing anyway, and you don't need to have the entire mesh visible at once, and since mudbox IS a real 3d app, it's selection tools are so much more precise than zbrush, so you can pick and choose with total accuracy what you want to show or hide.

TravelGuide
01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Dell Windows XP (2002) Service Pack 2
Optiplex GX280
Intel (R)
Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.20GHz
2Gigs of ram
ATI X800

I find mud box sluggish, as soon as I divide x2, x3 it becomes slow, slower than a snail...granted, I don't have a new computer (about 4 years old). I do hope the next version or update changes that...not everybody has a super computer and an expensive high end graphic card.

MRAY: I agree with you, I can push more polys in z-brush and still work with ease, something I can't do (at this time & with my set up) with mud box. You're not the only one out there that has issues with speed and responsivness with mudbox:buttrock:

oDDity: z-brush is pure 3d geometry, you can import it, and export it :)
it's still a mesh that you can subdivide -much more- than any other app, sculpt & texture:)

Andyjaggy
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Zbrush is convoluted. After playing around with zbrush and watching a fellow employee use mudbox, I am wishing I had gone with mudbox. Oh well, too late now.

Glad to see your still around Oddity, like you new site by the way.

soulburn3d
01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Zbrush is convoluted. After playing around with zbrush and watching a fellow employee use mudbox, I am wishing I had gone with mudbox. Oh well, too late now.

Why is it too late? It's never too late to learn new software :)

- Neil

Andyjaggy
01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Money and time. Eventually I am sure I will learn it, but not right now.

soulburn3d
01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Money and time. Eventually I am sure I will learn it, but not right now.

Ah, I understand. Well, hopefully you get a chance at some point, it's a cool piece of software.

- Neil

Andyjaggy
01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I just downloaded the mudbox trial. Within 10 minutes I allready had a halfway decent understanding of how the program worked.

I've been messing around wtih Zbrush for a month and still have no clue how do to anything in it. Looks like I will be trying to sell my license.

FreakWizz
01-16-2008, 03:53 AM
As mentioned above Zbrush is a very clever 2.5D that is never really a true 3D object, despite what you are lead to believe in the Pixologic marketing.

Mudbox is using OGL, and thus does greatly depend on your RAM and Videocard for it's performance, Zbrush is using it's own CPU Voxel/Pixol renderer (NOT OGL) which enabled it do appear much more impressive, but it will never be the true3D perspective camera that you have in MB. Therefore Mudbox simply won't come anywhere near Zbrush in poly amounts.

However with the many options of hiding/removing and draft mode, and various other things can all be used to make Mudbox work for the amount of detail needed..

As mentioned by Odditiy I love ZB, but with a good Wacom and shortcuts setup, nothing is simply as good workflow wise, the speed at which i work in MB makes up for the slightly lacking poly ability (and some useful tools) that ZB3 has.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2008, 03:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.