PDA

View Full Version : Acting Piece for Demo Reel

Robski
12-14-2007, 11:34 AM
This clip was done for my adv rigging class, but I would like to polish it some more and add it to my demo reel assets. I modeled and rigged the character acting. The other was just acting as a filler, in fact i was told to remove it and just keep it my own character. I just want some extra advice on what to work on to make it demo reel worthy, so let me know. THANKS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpm_dsiu7Y

KyleG
12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
It feels pretty floaty right now, I would go back and come up with a couple of poses you want to hit at certain parts of the dialog and work more on the timing and posing of the character, then start adding in the inbetweens

Robski
01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback and i will get on it as soon as i finish up some cycles that i have been working on the past couple of weeks

Capel
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
don't put it on your reel. it's obvious you're not an animator. if it's a rigging reel then you don't need animation. it would be like an animator trying to texture and light the characters on his reel. there's just no reason to and it only ends up cheapening what you already have.

Robski
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey capel..thanks for the input but your wrong....this was a rush job and im re working now..I only spent a few days on it.Give me some time and ill show you

Capel
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
take all the time you need but i'll tell you right now that your approach is all wrong. it's obvious from the clip that you have little to no experience with character animation.

but aren't you a rigger? i don't see why you even want animation in your reel unless it's done well enough to make your characters looks better, which isn't the case here.

do you have any animator friends? if you really feel like you need animation on your reel maybe they'd be willing to do it for you...

Robski
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
First off i dont consider myself to be a Rigger, I understand it but this was just a class and i was left with only a few days to complete the animation part of the project.....As for my approach, how would you handle it...I acted it out, put it on paper anything else i need to do??? I agree with KyleG about adding more to it and thats what i am doing...Ill re post the progress sometime soon....

Capel
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
i'd start by picking up "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams if you're actually serious about animating professionally.

then i'd start with his bouncing ball and go from there. do a few walks, maybe a jump or pushing an object for weight. THEN once you've done those exercises correctly, i'd try and tackle an acting piece. the problem here is that you've done what a lot of people do. skipped all the important exercises and bitten off WAY more than you can chew with a full on acting piece.

JYoung
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
If the focus isn't on the character on the left, take it out completely. Right now it's only hurting you and it doesn't sound like you're going to give it the attention it needs.

On a sidenote, Chris, did you know you sell capes now?(talking about your website)

mistasam02
01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Or how bout some "sexy costumes"? :applause:

On a serious note.. a lot of these comments have been harsh, but I have to agree that you're pretty far from being able to make a reel worth presenting. KyleG said it looked floaty, and it does. Even well-timed poppy animation with zero tweening works better than everything looking really smooth and having no timing. When I say "no timing" I mean that you have a bunch of different poses, but the easing in and out are all the same. Pick poses, put them where you want them on the timeline, and animate stuff happening in the middle. Make the body arc to those poses. Swing the arms in arcs as well. And for the love of GOD turn off IK. :twisted:

Hope that helps!

Robski
01-10-2008, 01:16 AM
thanks for the FEEDBACK, thats what i was looking for....I will go back to my blocking stage and start reworking what i got..Thanks for the advice and as for the IK, it was the way we rigged the character.

mistasam02
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
IK is usually (I don't know how programs other than Maya do rigging) an option that you put in. If you just make a skeleton and skin something, it's automatically FK. Only use IK if you're grabbing something, because it makes the hands/arms look like they aren't being controlled by the body.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.