PDA

View Full Version : Gum (Jet Set Radio)

CG-Gordon
12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_001.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_002.jpg

I've been wanting to do an update of a Jet Set Radio character for ages (one of my favourite games) and I've finally got a little bit more time on my hands so I thought I'd post up my progress so far. Mostly just high poly work done in zbrush using extract and subtools, the boots haven't been looked at properly yet, Iíll probably remove the middle wheels. I'm toying with the idea of adding a belt with some spray cans attached and possibly a set of goggles to sit on her hat (I'll post a quick image tomorrow, with some temp objects), although neither of these things were in the games or in the art kicking about the net I'm using for reference - what do you think?

I was going to use zbursh to add fabric type details to the clothes but its more trouble than itís worth, so I'll probably just add them in photoshop using crazybump.

I'll be moving onto the low poly version soon, right after the crits :D

caseofchill
12-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Not familiar with the game, but it's a cool looking character. One thing that seems off to me is her hips/waist area. Just my two cents. Good luck with it.

Toast-man
12-12-2007, 11:14 PM
She is looking very good CG_Gordon. :D I like what you are doing with the face, and the skirt. My only suggestions would be to look at the nostrils and "ball" of the nose tip, the fall of the breasts and the cleavage, and the volume of the stomach.

The nostrils need a little more inward turn and curvature up into the nasal passage and the ball of the nose could do with a little more definition.

The breasts with their outward fall, most likely wouldn't produce as strong a cleavage line. Perhaps smooth and blend in the upper part of the cleavage line to the chest.

And lastly adding a little (very small) "pot belly" to the stomach would give you the chance to add a little extra shape to the belly, without cluttering it with cloth folds.

I'll be keenly watching this thread to see how she turns out. keep up the good work!

ocarian
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
YEs good work CG-Gordon

I like this series
a good precursor of the cellshading GAME :)

very nice Sculting
good luck for the rest :thumbsup:

artraider
12-13-2007, 08:54 AM
It is deffinatly her, I love the game to death as well. The model feels kinda sureal because it looks like how she would be realistic and that is strange originaly because she is so soft and anime like in the games. Doing a Jet Set radio style model is something I have wanted to do for a long time as well mabey I will get around to it eventually but again good work!

mindrot
12-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Lovely CG-Gordon.

One small niggle I have is the face looks ever so slightly masculine.

~M~

CG-Gordon
12-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback, the crits are very helpful!

caseofchill-Jet Set Radio and JSR Future on xbox were outstanding, get a copy if you can :scream:. Haven't had time to look at the waist yet, I've tried adding on a belt quickly that might hide some of the problems (It's not cheating, honest)

Toast-man-Cheers dude, great crits, I took a very quick look at the nose, not sure if i've quite managed to fix the problems you mention. I wanted to keep a slight asian vibe to her, so I've tried not to make the nose too typically european. Check the new pics out, see what you think. Haven't addressed your other crits at all yet, but I'll get round to it soon.

ocarian-Thanks!

artraider-Thanks dude, good to know I'm heading in the right direction. I might try some cell shading/npr in the final render...

mindrot-Thanks dude, and cheers for the crit. I'll take a look at the face again, I don't want her to look masculine, but I was trying for defined features, like Lucy Lui, or even Jennifer Garner. I'll take another look for sure.

Heres some slightly updated images, I've stuck on a quick utility belt for spray cans (carrying weapons on your back is so next gen :p) I think I mgiht keep it, adds a bit of interest to the silhouette, and is kinda logical. What do you think?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_003.jpg

and quick close up of the ever so slighlty changed nose

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_004.jpg

iLegacy
12-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Ó like your character a lot, tha face looks bit comic but very sexy and sympathic. and the body *whoho* ;) very sexy but not bitchy i think. wll done and go on! i'm lookinf forward to seeing more :D

cholbrow
12-15-2007, 09:34 PM
This model is looking super good.

Some observations about the face: Her eyes have a strange feeling to them, and I think there are a couple reasons for that. I think the space between them is too great. There is a trick that I use. The distance between the eyes is the same as the overall width of one eye. (basically you can stick a third eye between the two and the corners should all touch) This works both for the surface and the actual size of the eye balls themselves.
Increasing the size of her eyes would make her more feminine. Small eyes are a masculine trait.

The eye lids them selves are sort of a mix between north east Asian and Caucasian (i found a strange web site that has a good example of what i mean Link (http://www.middletoncosmetic.com/asian.html))
You can see her bone structure just a bit on her face. Which is cool, but the more detail you add the more masculine she will appear. Again there is a trick. If you want to add detail to a womans face you need to add it with fat. (actually it could be just the lighting thats confusing me)

I really like that she has a bit of a belly
I think she could use a bit more of a calf muscle though (especially if she gets around by roller skating)
I don't really see any problems with her hips. In some people you see a dip between the top of the pelvis and the top corner of the femur but I think she is plump enough that you wouldn't notice. Giving her more of a butt might help but i think its fine as is.

I'm just nit picking, good luck with the model.

Qareeb
12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
CG-Gordon your artwork rocks and you rock, and I also love Jet Set Radio as a matter of fact I think they should remake it with current CG. hehe like your character above that would be so cool.

PS: no crits

thanks for sharing this :D

dalmanna
12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
hey nice model, one thing i noticed is that she's top heavy, (i know gums knockers are big) she needs to have her hips balance her out a bit more as she kinda has a mans lower half and a womans top half. the modelings awesome though. loved jet set, been wanting to do a similar thing to that only in a less realistic way.

nice stuff keep it up.

edit:
also just noticed her boobs are actually quite low considering your aiming for gum and you might wanna look at the V neck bit of her top again its actually not that wide and make her boobs more squashed together..... not that i've been looking aimlessly at a cel shaded girlies boobs.. i'm just a detail freak...yeah thats it, details

CG-Gordon
12-21-2007, 04:18 PM
chowlbrow - Cheers for the crits, thats a handy website for the eyes too, thanks!

Qareeb - Thanks very much! :scream:

dalmanna - Good crits, I think the chest was maybe sitting too low. I wasn't following the ingame character specifically, just using it for inspiration along with other fan art etc. The open v top was on another piece of art, I'll dig out a link if i can find it, it was on deviantart. I'll probably mess around with proportions for everything once I've baked the all the maps out. Much easier that way.

Speaking of which, the low poly and the UV's have been done - phew - I'm just deciding on how many maps/sizes to use (might throw her into a game engine). So no pictures to show for now, once I've done an AO/Cavity bake I'll post the images. Cheers for all the crits and comments. Updated images coming soon...

CG-Gordon
01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Heres a quick look at the textures so far -

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/gum_diff.jpg

Just trying out basic colours, still loads of fixing and detailing to be done. Just diffuse textures shown, no normals or spec yet...

iLegacy
01-10-2008, 06:29 AM
How i am?
Green!
How green?

;) 5th Element.

I like here, but maybe it's a bit crazy-green...hm. But i like her.

blacker
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
It's looking good, but her chest and hips are not too proportional. Her breasts hang pretty low and her hips aren't very wide. The texturing (good start!) emphasizes this a bit more than the untextured pics.

matsman
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Very cool stuff!!

But I agree on the breasts a little big and a little low... its like bam! breasts all over the place. especially with the lighting that accentuates them even more.
And also the pic is very overlit... or if you are going to use this kind of lighting the textures are still very bright for me.

Anyway... see what you do with it... loving every update!

BurrowingDuck
01-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Excellent, Excellent idea for a model, I think. I really enjoyed playing Jet set radio and its interesting to see a character in this totally different style. I think you've got it down for the most part. Mostly, I'd just move the breasts up, and this isn't strictly necessary, i'd say, (but I like the idea that someone already posted) about making her hips bigger. I really want to see this finished!! ;)

SergioSantos
01-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Love it!

body is perfect, face... mmm... could be better, but overall is ok
:thumbsup:

CG-Gordon
01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
iLegacy - yeah she's pretty crazy green, I might still ajust the colours :)

blacker - thanks for the crits! I've taken them onboard and have adjusted her, hopefully it will address your issues for the most part! Check out the updat below

matsman - thanks, see below, breasts are smaller now :thumbsup: The last image was a super quick grab in max 08, the lighting was very much a test. No normals or specs either. New image is taken from xNormal and has both specs and normals (first pass). Still very wip though, not quite happy with the results yet, but figured I should post an update!

BurrowingDuck -Thanks! Its great to hear from someone else who loved the game and knows what it was like! Thanks for the encouragement, I'll hopefully have it finished before the Dominance war :D

SergioSantos - Thanks dude! Although i have just made some changes to the body as per teh other crits :rolleyes: I've got a wee close up of the face too so you can give some crits if you get the chance. Thanks again.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_xn.jpg

The above image still has heaps wrong with it, seams on the legs, errors on the tops of the legs etc, these will be fixed before the next update, just wanted to show how it was progressing.

matsman
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi, nice update!

Just some things I noticed..

now that the breasts are smaller (great BTW) the dress/top feels a little awkward... since the crease below the breasts looks too low right now... I think I could get two fingers between skin and material... maybe you want to look at that.

I saw you had the same hexagon pattern on both the dark green and light green... it the pattern sits in the fabric you need to offset it on one of the two since the way it continues over the seam is just impossible. (jeah its a little nitpicky but also easily fixed)

The shadows on her legs seem awfully dark and red... is there some shadowing in the texture? looks like a little too much burn to me.

When looking at her face... the eyes seem a little big and quite high up... normally the eyes occupy about the middle between chin and the top of the head.

Shaping up nicely keep up!

blacker
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I agree with everything Matsman said. Decreasing the breast size does make the model look better (more proportional with the hips) but the texture needs to be lifted up a little bit more.

Matsman was spot on with the comment that the eyes are a bit too high. They don't need to be moved too much, but a little would certainly help. I think the nose is also a little too hard/wide/big but maybe that's what you were going for? The philtrum is also VERY sharp. I'd soften the face as much as you can for it to read as female.

This is on it's way to looking great!

CG-Gordon
01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
matsman/blackr - Cheers for the speedy response guys, its great geting feedback so quick! Your bang on about the fabric, I've actually mis-aligned it on the hat, but I'd forgotten about the clothes, nice spot :thumbsup:

I think the reason the head proportions might look off is the perspective I grabbed that screen shot from in xNormal, in hindsight I probably shouldnt have grabbed it at all. Here's a max grab from the front view straight on. If anything the eyes are sitting slightly lower than halfway but thats probably because of the hat. Have a look see what you think?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/head_pro.jpg

The shadows on the legs are from the AO bake I did, a friend told me they looked off...still havent fixed them yet. I'll do it right away! :D

I'll see what I can do with the crease, it does look off.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding an outline, to bring her closer to the JSR style. Early tests havent proved that great though. But i'll post some images up soon, you can tell me what you think.

Thanks again! More updates soon....

mindrot
01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey, this is coming along nicely CG-Gordon.

Those skates look wicked :thumbsup:

~M~

matsman
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Yep you're right.. in reasoning the eyes seem quite alright but for me still feel a little high... Could be just me though. But also remember that the top of the cap is not the top of the head since there is a layer of hat and a layer of hair between the top of the head and the spot you indicated. So the eyes should be lower like you said they are... so call me confused!

I'll be pondering over the image some more...
In the mean time how about some alpha hair to make the hair a little more fuzzy around the edges? just an idea...

Thanks!

urgaffel
01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
One thing that bugs me about this is that the AO bake makes it look like she has a little bit of a potbelly bulging over the belt :) Apart from that, it's coming along nicely, I look forward to more updates. How does it look if you duplicate the mesh, apply black material, invert the normals and use the push modifer? It's a dirty hack way of doing outlines but at least it's quick and can produce decent results in some cases. It would be fun to see a test or two too :)

CG-Gordon
01-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Started fixing some of the crits mentioned. Heres a quick grab of an ink test. I had to grab it with Max set to open GL, direct x would not anti-alias on my home pc for some reason. I have an Ati card, any ideas what im doing wrong?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_Ink_OGL_AA.jpg

The outline isn't quite as good as I hoped (this is using the mesh clone flip method). I'll post up the shader method grab soon as I get the AA problem fixed :surprised

RO
01-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Awesome! My fav Charecter in Jet set Radio :) I was just playing it the other day and I was thinking it would be nice to make a higher poly version of her. Nice job keep at it!

blacker
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM
This is turning out GREAT! Keep up the good work!

iLegacy
01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
nice but i think here face looks older now and it lost the charme of the untextured version...now shes more european - but the original is more asian style. just a personal opinon :)

OsharpO
01-27-2008, 04:32 AM
I personally am loving how this is turning out :)
Great job :D

Cant wait to see how good it wil llook with some metallice overlays on the kneepads and the blades :D
Also,From this angle, the legs/thighs look like cylinders? :P

myd00m
02-09-2008, 10:07 AM
looks awesome ...i wish they made a new version of this game JSRF was so addicting

CADster
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
x2, i loved that game.

very well done. i like.

Shuyinsan
02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Awesome dude This is really awesome, the game owned to bits man
It looks very very nice.
and for the people who don't know here are some original images of GUM

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7271/gumwallpaper6gu.jpg

http://www.mangarevolution.com/_jpg/tutorials/31/31-augustc4-How_to_Cell_Shade_JSRF_Gum-8%7E2-460x597.jpg

CG-Gordon
02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
RO - Thanks dude, yup that's exactly how I felt, been meaning to build this character for ages...

blacker - Thanks so much for the support!

iLegacy - I know exactly what you mean, I'm continuing to tweak the head texture...I think its the eyes...Thanks for the crit!

OsharpO - Cheers dude, Your right about the legs, might give them a bit of tweaking when i get the chance...

myd00m - I really wish they would make a new game. Could be so good. Thanks!

CADster - Yup awesome game. Thanks for the comment :)

Shuyinsan - Thanks! Good call on posting the images, should have done that myself at the start.

and...a wee update. Slowing getting round to renders, so here's a wee teaser (by no means a final pose!). More to follow. Thanks for looking :D

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/solarFlash/Gum_Comp_002.jpg

dpizzle
02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
excellent work so far

Qareeb
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
CG-Gordon, great job man no crits :) you've done an excellent job breathing new life into this character.

MindTraveler
02-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Beautiful work man. She is very appealing. Personally I liked her better before you applied the toon shader look but hey I know you are going for the Jet set look so CHEERS!

-Anwar Bey-Taylor

Riveramaze
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
too great to put into words, I might have to join you with a model of Beat. Soon to work on it, thanks for the inspiration.

IanMcQue
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Love it, just love it.

Now howzabout a super-deformed version?

the_podman
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
That's really cool. Makes me want to listen to my Dreamcast OST for Jet Set Radio. Does 3dsmax have something comparable to Maya's "toon" shaders. I know it's got Ink and Paint, but I mean something that actually makes polygonal toon lines.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.