PDA

View Full Version : mi_car_paint_phen mental ray shader wont go into my layered texture?

davidmattock
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
HI , Im trying to make a layered shader for a vehicle, that has my paint layer and my logo and rust on another layer with alpha channel.

Ive created the layered shader and added my rust, but it wont let me add the mi_car_paint_phen mental ray shader ?.. when i drag it on it just does nothing ?.. anyone no why ?:confused:

I cant believe that i cant use it with a layered shader to add graphics to my vehicle
Thanks

davidmattock
12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Ive sorted it !!:If anyone else has problems with using the mi_car_paint_phen with a layered shader and alphas, This is how you do it.:)
you first need to download the mix20 layer shader instead of using the maya layered shader http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html

ive attached my hypershade and mix20 Layer settings to show you.

heres the layers i needed.
base layer 0 - mi_car_paint_phen shader
layer 1 - my logo (this is a tiff with alpha chanel)
later 2 my rust (this is a tiff with alpha chanel)

You basically need your graphics eg logo etc saved as a tif with embeded alpha chanel. Then in maya, create your blinn or lambert etc and plug the file texture into colour as normal. Then Drag this blin to layer 1 colour slot.
Then drag the file texture to the o.factor slot of the same layer and keep the blend mode as "normal mix".. thats it. you can repeat this for more layers like i have done for rust

I couldnt find a help file with the mix20 so it was a guess after reading other forums what the "o.factor" even did. I dont know if it has other uses aswell?. maybe someone could explain more ?...hope this helps :)

Ash-Man
12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
you can still use the layered shader , just dont drag and drop it in that ara as u alwayes do

make sure you drop it on the color slot (simply because it dosnt have alpha)

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.