PDA

View Full Version : Sundiata's Daughter, Margaret Nancarrow (2D)

asongforOphelia
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/164368/164368_1197416129_medium.jpg

Title: Sundiata's Daughter
Name: Margaret Nancarrow
Software: Photoshop

This project has been an extremely long one, not only because of the intricate details, but also because I have had an extremely busy time at school and work. Yet, I consider this painting to be of particular historical value, at least to me. It is a costume/character oriented piece, and the meshing of three different kinds of costumes really caused me to draw it. On the one hand, her dress is extremely fantastical, inspired by the strange clothing of the noble ladies in the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries. But the other two elements are European (drawn from fashions of 1885), and the use of kente cloth and patterns in the skirt. However, both elements are overshadowed by the fantastical element in the dress.

The painting was done in Photoshop 7, and as I always do, it was drawn out in a line drawing on paper first. I use an Intuous 2 6x8 tablet. I would like specific critiques on the realness of the fabric, and the overall presentation of her figure. As always, I appreicate any comments.

Byaku
12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I really like the colours you chose, Wonderful! Especially that blue. And the pattens on her clothes are nice. I can image your hard work. But the tail like decoration is a little strange for me, and the texture of it is not very good, I think. Anyway, a very good piece of work!

By the way, her hands ang feet are too small, you meant to paint them like that?

asongforOphelia
12-12-2007, 08:07 PM
You know, I wasn't really focusing on the hands or feet, but now that you mention it, they are kind of small. It's one of those things that I need to work on. Thanks! Textures, too, are something that I have difficulty with. Do you have any suggestions for ways to learn to do more textured work?

Byaku
12-13-2007, 03:51 AM
I ? haha. A wrong person,maybe. As you can see, you do everything better than me. But I think you can make great progress by learning sketch. Because in my opinion, you do well in faces drawing, but the structure of human body you draw is not so good. Take Ophelia for example, her arms are too short. Anthropotomy is quite important for an artist, go and get some materials about it, I believe you can do better in the near future. Here is some turiol:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=565330 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=565330)

As to the texture, I can give you little suggestion. But I think metal's glint should be stronger.

Best wishes.

asongforOphelia
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks! I will continue to work on my anatomy. :D

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.