PDA

View Full Version : maya -> ut3 (collisions)

VaultBoy
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
little question for anyone that knows, i have to build my hole map in maya for my end of year show at uni, my tutor wont allow me to use ut to make any of the terrain/building and so i need to make a factory in maya and import it into ut3, now i can import things and set up the collision using uted but is there a way of doing it to your model in maya? i.e 2 versions of the same model?

i saw a tutorial that covered it for max and i haven't been able to get it working for maya. i have been using xactor and callada (but that doesnt seem to work properly) any help would be great!

Hourences
12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
You prolly read mine? Anything that goes for Max also goes for Maya. Make a mesh with the prefix UCX_name

So, mesh Terrain has a collision UCX_Terrain. Export both at the same time so they are in the same ase file.

Besides, per poly collision usually works fairly well, you dont need UCX...

And, you should use the Unreal terrain if possible.

VaultBoy
12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
you should use the Unreal terrain if possible.
I want to but my tutor is set in his ways, he says its not what they do in industry and that i need to learn to get used to exporting things from a 3d program to an engine (even though its somthing i have done for a while now) he says using the unrealed to make parts of my map isnt good enough for my project (being that we have to set our own project) so i have to make it all in maya and place it in to ut3.

as for the per poly collision, would it be ok to apply that to everything i import? (i am making a map for the intention of multiplayer - but for my degree show i want to just be able to walk around it) if per poly collision doesnt effect performance then i will just go with that :)

Hourences
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Since the engine is like the most used commercial engine out there, it is how they do it in the industry :)
It is also far simpler and more user friendly to use the build in tool. Though I can also understand where your teacher is coming from, he prolly wants you to be universal and not stuck to the tool of one engine..

Per poly is usually fine. Especially for things like terrain and caves its near impossible to create simplified collisions, and it is usually just way easier to set it to per poly collision. Thats what I do anyhow. I only bother applying simplified collision to simple stuff that I can easily wrap in a collision model.
Also, if you are getting desperate and you do want simplified collision, you could also just export the collision as seperate meshes, import those, place them on the same coordinates as regular staticmeshes, and just set them to be invisible and cast no shadow...

VaultBoy
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
First I want to thank you for the fast and helpful responses, going to look into each of the methods and decide which the best method is for me! thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.