PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania Character, Soul (3D)

SouL
04-20-2003, 11:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12385/Castlevania_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12385/Castlevania.jpg)

It never hit me that I'd been posting in the wrong section of the msgboard. Hah

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_03.jpg

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_05.jpg

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_textures.jpg

Yeah. I used tiny-ass textures for this bastard. Face count is somewhere in the 3100's.

metal me solid
04-20-2003, 12:50 PM
._________________.

THAT IS AWWWWWWWWWWWSSSOOOOOOOOMMMEEEEE!!!!!

xeno
04-20-2003, 12:53 PM
nice character! really captured the spirit of the games! excellent pose on the second pic!

CGmonkey
04-20-2003, 12:56 PM
That's truely awesome indeed... GIVE US WIREFRAME!! :wip:

:) really nice

j00st81
04-20-2003, 12:57 PM
woah, right out of a finalfantasy game :buttrock:

can we see a wire? :bounce:

H3rbie
04-20-2003, 01:12 PM
FF class on that one, very good job m8 :thumbsup:

jussing
04-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Goddamit, she even has textures teeth INSIDE HER MOUTH... :bounce: ...and her eyes can open and close...

SouL, did you know you models were recognizable as your work from a mile away? (and I mean that as a compliment!)

You rock, dude.

- jonas

jussing
04-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Say, didn't you also use an opacity map for the hair...?

- Jonas

Recycle_Me
04-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah this is great. Some confusion surrounding the character... i'm assuming it's Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (great great PS game....my favorite) and hes a 'male', right?hehe :p I would love to see him animated (though not easy) and also make some other cool poses too!

ZVAN
04-20-2003, 01:30 PM
this is what i call a real game character! yeah! u're really brilliant! haha1 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Prs-Phil
04-20-2003, 01:36 PM
it looks so great its scary even with theese small textures ... :thumbsup:

Joril
04-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jussing
she even has textures teeth INSIDE HER MOUTH

Yet, no breasts? ;) :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a wireframe to, and a wire-close-up of the head.
Looks great! although I never actually played FF so I may not be knowing what I'm saying.

Solesurvivor
04-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Joril, it's a male character ;)

this one could have run out of FF easily, makes me remind of one the bad guys in FF9, can't remember his name right now

very nice work:thumbsup:

Hamsterhead
04-20-2003, 01:57 PM
ARGH!!!!! has ANYONE READ THE TOPIC?!?!

sorry, it is Final fantasy esque , which is definately not a bad thing,

amazing, inspiring also:)

JonC
04-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Hamsterhead
ARGH!!!!! has ANYONE READ THE TOPIC?!?!

lol

yes it is really amazing :) nice work, and I also ask for a wireframe if possible?

Solve
04-20-2003, 02:24 PM
It never hit me that I'd been posting in the wrong section of the msgboard. Hah

ahahha, i always wondered why you posted your work in the gallery/finished section instead of here.
:thumbsup:

anyway that model is :drool:
Can you tell me how many faces went into the head ?

Joril
04-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Solesurvivor
Joril, it's a male character ;)

Yeah, that was what I was hinting at ;):cool:

Temporal
04-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Excellent work as usual Soul. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect :D

illOgic
04-20-2003, 03:05 PM
soul you make me sick. :)

Jevin
04-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Great textures, but I the model doesn't really seem like Alucard to me. I like how you did the eyelids, very accurate to the castlevania style. I'd say the thing that draws me away from it the most is the lack of intricacy in the outfit, and the structure of the face. You could very easily get it by as a different character with simple color changes too, if you wanted.

Keep up the good work.

Also, the hair seems all wrong, not the right color, nor styled the right way.

jussing
04-20-2003, 04:14 PM
ALL RIGHT, so he's not a chick, my bad! ;) -now where's that slapping-on-forehead smiley when you need it?? :P

Anyway, I actually did wonder if it was a guy or a gal, but I figured, nah, with that feminine look (look at those eyes), it was propably a chick. :shrug: And I don't know anything about "Castlevania" anyway...

Still, awesome character... despite the gender-confusion! ;)

Cheers,
- Jonas

ceql
04-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Wow, what a great lineup of low poly chars from you, SouL! :applause: :applause:

Bachelorette
04-20-2003, 04:29 PM
soul you are my faourite low poly artist. Your eric draven is my deskop background

Jevin
04-20-2003, 05:36 PM
For those of you who don't know, Alucard is a Vampire, and European vampires tend to have arched eyebrows, soft features, pale skin, and androgenous eyes.

So that means the model is along the right lines if it confused you all ;)

SouL
04-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Hey, thanks! :)

Didn't mean to misslead anyone... but I guess he does come off as a Final Fantasy character a bit. Hm.

But actually the idea was to make a character that could appear in a Castlevania game. So I went to google and searched for a few reference images. I picked up some Dracula and Artwork from the few recent Castlevania game.

I used the Dracula/CV references for the modeling. Then I mixed a bit of Juste/Maxim (Harmony of Dissonance) and Alucard (Symphony of the Night) for the texturing.

He actually had shorter hair in the early stages of the model. Then I saw my brother playing Kingdom Hearts and he was fighting Sephiroth. And I noticed how Squaresoft did his hair, which I thought was the coolest thing. So I got on the comp and copied the style :)

So yeah, he's a bit of a mix.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Castlevania art, go out and google some. They're fantastic. Or you can try and google for Ayami Kojima. She does all the artwork for the new Castlevania games (except for one).

Here are the wires:
http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_wire_face.jpg

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_wires_face_features.jpg

The face uses 622 triangles all together. The head, neck, and jaw were controlled with bones. The rest were done with Morph Targets. It's kind of neat when you mix both, though Morph Targeting is a bit teadious (You have to duplicate the head for each individual expression - There has to be a more efficient way of doing this...)

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_wire_body.jpg

The body shot kind of has a headless horseman feel to it, eh? :)

http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/cv_wire_hands.jpg

I never noticed it before... but his thumb is too short. HAH
Oh, and yeah, transparancy was used for the ends of the hair

ElysiumGX
04-20-2003, 06:01 PM
I saw the thumbnail on the front page and already knew the model was yours. Excellent work with the face. Nice to see functional eyes and mouth.

Soul. Get a job!!!:airguitar

Ian0303
04-20-2003, 06:23 PM
cool:bounce: cool:bounce: cool:bounce:
I like it very much:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SkaJoo
04-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Wow...I only have one thing to say...Konami, sign this guy up!:thumbsup:

luima
04-20-2003, 06:57 PM
very cool!! castlevania is one of my favourites games ever, great modeling!!

hanzo
04-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Very cool! :airguitar

Rezz
04-20-2003, 08:37 PM
My god dude thats just.......freaking beautiful …the texture, the model....man everything -must work harder to get to your level >_< are you accepting any apprentices at this time :D

jfalconer
04-20-2003, 11:38 PM
I spent some serious time with SOTN, and while I could tell it was Alucard without looking at the topic, it didn't quite capture the Alucard look for me.

The hair really bothers me (if you look at any reference pic of Alucard his hair flows all around and frames his face, and is much longer, especially in the game sprite). With the current style, IMHO it would look better tied into a ponytail with a ribbon of some sort. :lightbulb

The cape doesn't flow around him or seem long enough, and his limbs seem too wide (he is a very thin character) but otherwise (and technically speaking) an excellent model sir. Can I see a pose with him holding the cape around him, half covering his face? Its the classic vampire pose... come on! lets see it - you know you want to! ;)

Anyway, to see what I mean, check out the official Konami manga that came with the game in Japan (esp. page 8):

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/art/manga/manga.html

Thanks for posting, very cool to see. I especially liked the eyes, and the eye set-up. The hands are a true work of art. Where's your online portfolio at? :thumbsup:

JBoskma
04-20-2003, 11:51 PM
And yet again, a frontalpageshot.. blargh! Great job man, Gotta love those boots you did. Shinyness = teh win! :beer:

Celshader
04-21-2003, 12:02 AM
That character looks GORGEOUS!!! Beautiful, beautiful work!!!

:love:

Wigaru Wiyamoto
04-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Awsome job! :buttrock: It'll be interesting to compare this to the PS2 Castlevania supposedly being announced this E3.

ninja noodle
04-21-2003, 12:25 AM
wow!!! that's really amazing! great work! :thumbsup:

goodlag
04-21-2003, 12:28 AM
:buttrock:

great work ! :applause:

AdamAtomic
04-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Hey Soul - illogic tipped me off to your work, and it's stunning - efficient poly/mesh use, great-looking high-contrast skins (more important in gaming than a lot of people realize!), really stellar - you've captured the essence of the modern Castlevania hero perfectly, pale skin, long hair, cool-ass french trenchcoat :) I have some...well, not suggestions, but more some stuff I'd like to see you try out, because I haven't seen a lot of it in your models so far...

1 - Dirty textures/Painterly Textures - your skins, while beautiful (I mean really beautiful - you're on my list of idols!), well-executed, and efficient, all seem to be pretty much clean - i'd like to see your take on a dirty/grungy character (that taxi driver character on these forums is a perfect example)...alternatively, visible brushstrokes that evoke Ayami's distincitive paintings would be pretty neat to see on a character like this too!

2 - Hahaha - shit - I dont' actually have a second one...this character turned out kickass :) I can't wait to see your next project!

facial
04-21-2003, 02:24 AM
/Nice low polygon model here. Well done.

Confracto
04-21-2003, 07:20 AM
er...I hate to nitpick, but I noticed a rather serious flaw. I read earlier to make sure, as I'm not the most familiar with Castlevania, but don't vampires have pointed teeth??

Keep up the sweet work!

SouL
04-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Jfalconer: He doesn't have a cape. He just has a long trenchcoat. The character isn't Alucard, though he does look like him.
Capes are the coolest things to add to character... but they're damned hard to model and rig. His coat alone has 20 sets of bones.
How many hours did you rack up on SotN? I think I still have save file floating around that had about 60 hours or so. Level 65 and something like... 199% map coverage. KILLER game. I just with Konami took out all the cheap stuff in the game.

JB: Heh yeah. I love that shiny leather stuff. I really ought to go out and pick up some of my own!

Confracto: Actually... Dracula is pretty much the only Vampire in the games. The heroes are usually Vampire Hunters. Except in Symphony of the Night were the Hero was Dracula's son. A half vamp/half human kind of deal. But damn, fangs would have been cool, though. I'll have to keep that in mind :)

Adam: Hee. You've missed some of my earlier stuff. I used to do dirty (sorta) textures. But those were way, way back about a year and half ago. I'll try something new next time. But for now I have to get started on my comp #4 entry !

Nedjo
04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
nice you could make a q3 modell

DaKrunch
04-21-2003, 01:54 PM
great as always, Soul! :applause:

lildragon
04-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Awesome style, lovely details. I really dig your texture work as in your other models. Keep it up man :thumbsup:

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

AdamAtomic
04-21-2003, 04:34 PM
WOW!!! Congrats, Soul!!!

bugo
04-21-2003, 09:16 PM
dude!!! your model is awesome!!!

wanna be like you!! :scream:

JBoskma
04-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bugo
dude!!! your model is awesome!!!

wanna be like you!! :scream:

k, modelthing: I understand.
But you wanne be like him? Being soul isn't only the flair of winning awards. But also every nights the most horrible dreams of one-eyed cinderella's, and rottenhorseriding zombies. I don't know if you want that, pff.

SouL
04-22-2003, 03:29 AM
VERY COOL!

Will defenitly give the Expose a shot.

I'm a pretty normal guy, JB!! Hahaha

WonderWolf Drew
04-23-2003, 01:25 AM
A pretty normal guy with a real flair for modelling. Great model and cool textures. Can't wait to see how you're comp#4 piece turns out! :cool:

WW

gu3
04-23-2003, 09:35 PM
is the coat made of one sided polys with a doulbe sided material on it? if so, how do you apply different maps to each side?Or is it an actual "3d" coat?

gu3
04-23-2003, 09:35 PM
is the coat made of one sided polys with a doulbe sided material on it? if so, how do you apply different maps to each side?Or is it an actual "3d" coat?

SouL
04-23-2003, 09:40 PM
The part that flops around are 1 sided polies. In 3D Studio Max there's an option in the Material Editor that lets you choose if you want a material to be 2-sided or not.

Rezz
04-24-2003, 01:38 AM
any future plans on doing a tutorial?

Packrat
04-24-2003, 06:59 PM
I am diggin it. very good texturing.:beer:

mehdianim
07-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I really like your models man they are tight.
:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.