PDA

View Full Version : De-taching Smooth Skin, and Re-attaching it

PolygonGoon
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
i created a Mesh of a girl, riged it, then skinned and weighted it. After all this i did the blendshapes. i now have transforms on the blendshaped Verts, if i move the rig.

I belive i was susposed to do the blendshapes then skin it. So i Detached the skin, preserving history, and then Attached a smooth bind again. This all works, except for that i loose my weights. But i Did have the option when i detached it to "Keep History" Which should Keep my weights correct?

Any advice on this would be very beneficial, thank you!

MorgothBauglir
12-11-2007, 07:00 PM
This is what i did in a similar case:

- duplicated the bound mesh in it's bind pose.
- smooth bound the duplicate to the skeleton.
- used the "copy skin weights" to transfer it to the duplicate.
- purged the history of the original as needed.
- after everything is done, rebound the original to the skeleton.
- used "copy skin weights" to get them back on the original mesh.

maybe there is a better way to do it, but it worked for me.

doodlyD
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
you can create blendshape after skining
just change deformation order
put your skin cluster first then blendshape

RMB on model and go to Imputs --All Imputs and then change the oder with MMB

isoparmB
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
If you needed to do facial targets for a blendshape that was already rigged, and the rig was deformed through skinning in any way, a safe way of extracting a base shape would be to set the envelope of all deformers applied to your geometry to zero, then dupicate the mesh in that state.

This way you're sure you don't have any unwanted deformation transforms on your mesh (Just remember to turn you envelopes back on again after duplicating).

After you apply the blendshape targets, like doodlyD mentioned just change the deformation order on your mesh.

Yes, the keep history option for detatch skin will retain your old skin weighting. But in your scenario I don't see why you'd need to detatch just to apply blendshapes.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.