PDA

View Full Version : Hand And Arm Rig

Animator395
04-20-2003, 05:10 AM
While I'm at it I might as well get help with my rig. I've been posting several questions trying to get ideas on better ways to do things (hint, hint, Im a newbie) and now I wish to know of ways to rig an arm and hand so that It can have good movement and so that acheiving that movement can be done relatively quickly. The hand movement is what really frustrating me right now, but I would like to know some good arm rigs as well. This is for a cartoonish 5 fingered character.

Anyone got any good rig Ideas they would like to share?

Thanks to everyone in advance

John :beer:

jHromika
04-20-2003, 06:48 AM
You might want to check out this tutorial for an arm set up.

http://www.electronicgaming.com/tutorials/

The big problem I've had with the arm is that when I set up a wrist twist attribute, the geometry pinches at the joint. I've just built this particular set up, but I haven't bound the skin yet, so I can't tell you how well it works yet ;) but it looks like it should solve that problem.

For the hand, I've been using the Learning Maya|Character Rigging and Animation set up.

http://www.hromikarenders.com/stills/jaredimages/jared003.htm

Not the best image, but it should give you a rough idea of joint placement. One palm joint, 4 joints branching off that for the index, middle, and ring fingers. 2 pinky palm joints with 4 pinky joints attached there, and 1 thumb palm joint, with 3 more joints for the thumb. All of these are then parented to a root joint that meets with the wrist.

The joint LRA's should be set up so that for the 4 fingers, the palm joint, and pinky palm 2 (closest to the pinky), X points down the finger, and Y points towards the pinky. Pinky palm 1 and thumb palm, X points straight out to the fingers, Z points out to the pinky, and Y points straight up (assuming the palm is also facing up). The two thumb joints should be oriented so that X points towards the next joint like the other fingers, Y points away from the hand, and then Z should point down, again if the palm is facing up.

For animating, I added a bunch of attributes to my arm control node. indexCurl, middleCurl, etc which are controlled with set driven key.

Hopefully this'll help you out. The next step on the rig I'm building currently is the hands, so if I come up with anything different / better I'll let you know.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Animator395
04-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Thanks for you help I'll definately give it a go. Hey on your wrist movement and pinching problem. Try giving your arm for bones. two bicep, two forearm. Doing this causes the deformation of the skin to fall off much more pleasingly. But hey im just a newbie and perhaps you've already tried this.

my two cents anywho.

Thanks again

jHromika
04-20-2003, 07:41 AM
Extra arm joints sounds like a good solution. If building the ulna and radius doesn't work like it looks like it should (since it's already set up), I'll give it a shot.

Heheh, and just for the record, this will only be my 4th rig, and the first one was pretty bad ;) so advice is always welcome :)

Hope mine helps you out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.