PDA

View Full Version : Short Film: Matte Painters, help my hole is not big enough!!!

TimP
04-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Hi guys,

Im desperatly in need of help from one of you talented matte painter type people.

Ive just finished shooting a short film, at the end of which the main charaters are confronted with a fresh meteor type crater.

After the footage was shot it was decided that the crater needed to be bigger, more dramatic and basically better then the small hole that we managed to dig.

My talents are at a loss here and i dont know of anyone who does this type of thing.

The crater is only in one static locked off shot and the footage format is DV PAL 720 by 576.

Any help would be truly welcome and apprieciated.

Cheers all.

TimP :)

TimP
04-20-2003, 03:29 AM
Hi again,

This is a frame form the footage in question i hope it inspires everone!!!!

Once again cheers for your time.

TimP:)

Kirt
04-20-2003, 04:02 AM
Maybe if you posted a link to a frame of the image at 720 X 576 someone might take a crack at it. Also, it'd be helpful if you indicated the areas in which the live action takes place in the frame (draw over a thumbnail or your posted low rez image here).

TimP
04-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I dont have any web space at the min to link the image from , but that is some thing that im working on right at the moment!!!

Anyone whos intrested please get in touch and i'll gladly email you a full res frame.

As for movement the characters stay static, there is slight movement in their hands and they shift their weight from side to side but thats about it, nothing drastic as to what you all ready see.

I'll get working on that web space!!

Thanks for the comments keep them coming!!!

Cheers TimP:)

timpruce@hotmail.com

TimP
04-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

Just a update, this is a great test crater that Rod has sent me, he whipped it up in a couple of mins of Photoshop!!!! ( Damm those talented people out there!)

Its just the type of thing that i was looking for!!!

Nice one Rod! :bounce:

Cheers

JIII
04-23-2003, 03:32 AM
Nice I was actually working on it but had some software problems so had to give it up.

great pic dude.

TimP
04-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey J111,

Thanks for downloading the image and giving it a go!!!!!

If you or anyone else have done work on this frame please feel free to post the matte. I would really love to see any work done!!

To all those that have given me their time :beer:

Cheers

imothep85
04-27-2003, 09:48 AM
the shot is cool but the perspective of your matte and colors are no good, too much blured and too dark, its no very realistic because you d'ont analyse the light in the original shot.
if you have a problem whit your matte : imothep85@hotmail.com

I animate
05-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Here's my try at it, 10 minutes in photoshop. :)

KingofDaveness
05-04-2003, 11:31 PM
I assumed the action wouldnt go deeper than the guy at the front. Once you have a higher res version let us know so we can up the quality.

The mask should let you composite this back over your hires and give you an idea.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/kingscastle/gallery/film/matte_plate.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/kingscastle/gallery/film/matte_mask.jpg

imothep85
05-06-2003, 10:44 AM
for a best result, analyse your picture, the perspective of your image, and paint it easly the createred meteor.

KingofDaveness
05-06-2003, 12:35 PM
good tips there.

Another important lesson is to analyse...

The light values of the bright lit side of objects.
The black values in the darkest shadows.
The focus on the camera.

Pick something which is effected clearly, such as the trunk of one of the trees, and sample your dark values from there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.