PDA

View Full Version : WIP 2007/08 Demo Reel

AlpahKaneda
12-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Hello all, I got my work in progress demo reel I would like to share.
This is my first real demo and I am using it to find a job in the industry.
It is mostly focused on animation b/c thats what I enjoy doing.

Again this is work in progress soo any critiques and suggestions to improve it would be extremely appreciated :)

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AJG-gH-iRoo

all I got is Youtube :(

dragonlair81
12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I would say the one thing that i noticed was in a lot of your genri animations both your arm move at the same time doing the thing. I would vary what they are doing and offset them alittle bit. In your walk and run cycles they almost seem a little floaty because you foot doesn't really stay on the ground. You need to hit your contact pose and keep the foot on the ground before you lift it back up.

if you want to animate then I would take out the stuff that is not animation. The part at 1:33 when it is just the face doing poses I don't really know what you are try to show. Are you showing your modeling, rigging or what. I would take it out. Keep up the good work your off to a good start.

Wilson-3d
12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
As far as the animation goes the generi arms were what I noticed the most too. Also, if you enjoy all aspects, I have been keeping an eye on the job posts too, and there are a lot of cg generalist jobs out there. Just a thought if you want to head in that direction. If not though I would take the non-animaion out. Also the head shot, with the hat. The deformation looks great but it is hard to tell what part of it you did. If all you did was animate that one I would take it out. If you created the blend shapes it truned out really nice. I imagine you have a demo reel breakdown that you send out with you reel but I wonder if you keep it more generalist like it is now, you may want to add some small text on the shots explaining your roll. Just some thought, some do that and some don't. keep up the good work.

AlpahKaneda
12-14-2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it :)

Ok soo I do notice the arm movment...gonna change that up a bit.
The walk cycle is supposed to be floaty...but obviously I did it wrong.
The run cycle...I really can't see what you mean, soo Im gonna take a closer look when I get time today.

Everything in this demo was done by me. So, yes I modeled/textured the head and created the blendshapes. I never liked the way I displayed them tho, just a punch of unrealistic face poses doesnt seem to cut it. I gotta see what I can do with it, maybe sync it up with another audio recording.

Last thing is I dont have a breakdown of my work...this is my first time sending out a demo so I need guidance in that too.
My first job I got was from the exact demo you saw. They didnt care if it was done or not they were impressed and hired me.

I am capable of any aspect of CG art so that is sorta why ther is non-animation parts in the demo. I focused on animation b/c I find it the fastest and easiest to do...and I really want to start a career in this field now.

Thank you both again for the advice, I better get to work fixing these animations.

EsotericAmI
12-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Hey dan, whats up!
Good to see you finaly got your demo online.

Soo I havnt seen this version of your demo, but of course its looking good. With some polish it should definitely score you a job.
I do think you really need to figure out what kinda work your going for. If animation you should scrap the parts that arnt animation, not b/c its not any good, but whats the point if your going for animation.
I know you probably know that already, but I think its important for you to make sure what you want to do for work.

As for the demo, I think your run walk cycle are great! The arms for the generi do need to be a little more independent.
OHHH and sorry to say but I always hated your display of blendshapes. You did such an amazing job creating them, so I really think you should figure out a new way to show that work off.

Anyway good to see your work again and keep up the great work :)

eagleeyeadvertising
12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
hi,
i am a new bee in animation and you have done a good job as a beginer put some thought on the suggestion and do it "best of luck"
ashusmotion
my wip reel
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qiXdGSXwk

AlpahKaneda
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Finaly the holiday's are over and its time to get tons of work done.
Thanks for your post esotericami, I talked to you already about everything I need to fix.
You know your memory tho, so I am mentioning that we talked in this post aswell...hahah.

eagleeyeadvertising thanks for your comment aswell :)
I checked out your demo and it is good stuff. You should do as I am go in and polish all your animations. Gotta watch for stiff movements and some seem to slow.

Good work soo far keep it up :)

EsotericAmI
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Making fun of my memory! haha jokes.
The funny thing is, I did forget. :(

At least I am a prompt poster, you just posted your last msg like 2 minutes ago and Im already responding!

The main point is where is the update? Did you fix anything yet?
I know you love your Cryengine 2 (your mod is the best I have seen, PUT IT ON THE NET and im not just saying that b/c I am a good friend) but lets see some demo stuff :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.